Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Aggies put Bulldogs in the dog house

A&M men’s tennis clinch victory over Mississippi State
Photo by Connor May
Sophomore Togan Tokac reacts to another point at Texas A&M’s match against Pepperdine on Sunday, Feb. 25, 2024, at the Mitchell Tennis Center. (© Connor May/The Battalion)

The No. 10 Texas A&M men’s tennis team defeated No. 22 Mississippi State 7-0, at its SEC home opener, Friday, March 8, at the Mitchell Tennis Center.

The Aggies, 10-3 and 2-1 in conference, had their first SEC game on the road last weekend. They faced a tough 4-0 loss against Florida last Friday, March 1, but they came back with a 4-3 victory over South Carolina on March 8.

Mississippi State with a 9-3 record, came off a win against the Georgia Bulldogs 4-3 for its conference opener.

Doubles play opened up the match. Court 5 served the first hit while on Court 1, the nation’s No. 58 doubles duo, junior Gulio Perego and sophomore Togan Tokac, scored first.

Tokac’s serves stayed dominant throughout the singles and doubles match. He clinched victory in the doubles match after freshman Tiago Pires and graduate Kenner Taylor fell to senior Nemanja Malesevic and sophomore Michal Novansky.

Juniors Luke Casper and JC Roddick won 7-6 against senior Carl Hernandez and junior Dusan Milanovic. The Mississippi State players struggled to keep up with A&M’s volley shots, as both players lined up at the back of the court instead of spreading out.

During his singles match Tokac took on Mississippi State’s Hernandez — who is tied for the team lead with 9-1 singles records during dual match play with sophomore Benito Sanchez Martinez. His swift and sudden cross-court shots and shifting from the front of the court to the back put him in the lead for his singles match. Tokac finished 6-4, 3-1.

Both teams did not shy away from competing against each other even after their games ended. Both sides cheered on Casper and Roddick as they were the last team to take victory for doubles over the Bulldogs. For every “Let’s go Maroon and White” chant led by the Bulldogs the Aggies responded with an even louder “Let’s go Aggies.” Casper and Roddick finished their doubles match 7-6 against Hernandez and Milanovic.

After a brief rain delay, junior Giulio Perego was the first to double the lead for A&M, 6-3, 6-4 against Milanovic.

The Bulldogs tried to be more dominant during the singles match. Sanchez Martinez went up against Pires. Sanchez Martinez’s ability to be a serve-and-volley player, allowed him to act quickly, giving Pires little to no time to respond. Pires then caught up 6-3, 1-6, 6-2.

“The score was not indicative of how close this match was,” coach Steve Denton said. We won a tiebreaker at two doubles and then we had a lot of three setters that went our way.”

Aggie men’s tennis is set to play Ole Miss on Sunday, March 10, with first serve at 12 p.m. at the Mitchell Tennis Center.

View Comments (1)