Aggies’ SEC road woes continue

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Freshman Riley Sartain has started all 48 of A&M’s games so far this season.

SEC road struggles for No. 16 Texas A&M continue to rear its ugly head.

The Aggies were swept by the No. 19 Missouri Tigers tonight after falling 7-1. A&M (33-14) has been swept in three consecutive road series.

The first game of the series, the Aggies and Tigers (34-12) went into extra innings to decide the game. In the third inning, the maroon and white took a 3-2 lead after sophomore Tori Vidales hit a double allowing freshman Kaitlyn Alderink to score. However, the Tigers tied the game in the bottom half of the inning. The Aggies fell to the Tigers after a walk-off single by Missouri’s Amanda Sanchez.

The second match-up of the resulted in another close game between A&M and Mizzou. The Tigers took the 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third inning after Mizzou scored off an RBI single. The Aggies tied the game in the top portion of the seventh inning, but were unable to hold the Tiger offense in the bottom of the seventh. The Tigers scored the game winning run off of an infield single.

Monday night, the Aggies took the field hoping to avoid their third straight road series sweep. Vidales hit her seventh home run of the season in the top of the third inning to cut the Mizzou lead to one after jumping to an early 2-0 in the third inning. However the Mizzou offense continued to roll as they scored three more runs off two hits and two errors committed by the Aggie defense. A&M was not able to respond to the six run lead after Missouri added two more runs in the bottom of the fifth.

Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans told 12thman.com that she was disappointed with the performance by her team.

“We did a poor job of taking care of the ball,” head coach Jo Evans said to 12thman.com  ”Offensively, we never got on track. You look at the game and we left three runners on. We didn’t have an inning where we rallied or made anything happen.”
The Aggies will be back in action Wednesday as they travel to San Marcos to face Texas State in a midweek match-up before returning to College Station to host No. 1 Florida.