No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Aggies shutout in 13-3 loss against Ole Miss in game two

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

Junior catcher Mikey Hoehner had two hits and four at-bats.

On Friday, No. 7 Texas A&M baseball looked to avoid a consecutive series loss, but the No. 15 Ole Miss Rebels got the best of the Aggies in a blowout 13-3 win.
With the loss, A&M falls to 30-14-1 (11-8-1 SEC) while Ole Miss improves to 29-15 (12-8 SEC).
The two wins — from game one and game two — have vaulted Ole Miss above A&M in the SEC West standings. However, A&M is still able to finish the weekend above Ole Miss in the standings should it win Saturday’s series finale.
Through five and a half innings, the game was low scoring, as the Aggies held a 2-1 lead going into the bottom of the sixth.
That’s where things got heated for A&M, as Ole Miss would put up back-to-back six-run innings on the Aggie bullpen.
A&M added its last run in the top of the ninth to make the final 13-3.
Aggie sophomore starter Asa Lacy had a solid outing, but came out with the loss on the mound. Lacy finished with 5.1 innings pitched, three earned runs on five hits and 11 strikeouts.
The A&M bullpen that consisted of sophomores Chandler Jozwiak, Bryce Miller and Dustin Saenz combined for 2.2 innings pitched, 10 runs on eight hits and three strikeouts.
At the plate, the Aggies could only muster five hits, but were led by junior Braden Shewmake and sophomore Zach DeLoach. Shewmake went 2-for-3 with a solo home run and two RBIs, while DeLoach went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
Ole Miss freshman Doug Nikhazy got the start for the Rebels and shined.
Nikhazy tossed seven innings, giving up just one earned run on four hits and striking out 10 Aggie hitters. Nikhazy also allowed just one walk as junior reliever Taylor Broadway finished things out on the mound.
At the plate, the Rebels were led by three hitters who each had three hits. Senior Ryan Olenek went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and an RBI from the leadoff spot. Junior Grae Kessinger also went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and an RBI, while sophomore Anthony Servideo went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBIs.
The series finale will be on Saturday at Ole Miss’ Swayze Field. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.