Aggies to play Texas in special exhibition game for Harvey relief

Photo by By Lawrence Smelser

Texas A&M will play Texas in a special exhibition game to raise money for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.

Texas A&M and Texas will meet in a men’s basketball exhibition game next Wednesday Oct. 25 at Rice’s Tudor Fieldhouse in Houston at 7 p.m.
Rebuild Texas Relief Fund will receive all proceeds from the special event to continue relief efforts in wake of Hurricane Harvey.
“We’re proud to be a part of a meaningful event for a great cause, and we’re very appreciative of the folks at Rice and Texas for joining with us in this effort to help so many of our fellow Texans,” Texas A&M director of athletics Scott Woodward said in a statement.
In September, Texas Governor Greg Abbott selected John Sharp, Texas A&M University System Chancellor, to serve as commissioner of Rebuild Texas.
“I have witnessed the great needs in the communities struck by Hurricane Harvey,” Sharp said in a statement. ”I am proud that the A&M-UT rivalry can be employed to help our fellow Texans through Gov. Abbott’s relief fund.”
Both sides see the benefits of coming together and continuing to raise money for those still feeling the effects of the storm nearly two months after Harvey’s landfall in August.
“As a lifelong Houston resident, I understand the impact that Hurricane Harvey had on so many lives and the need for continued aid and donations to help rebuild,” Texas athletic director Mike Perrin said. ”This is a time for all Texans to come together in support of the Houston community.”
The Aggies and Longhorns have only met once on the hardwood since A&M’s departure to the SEC in 2012, playing in the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament in the Bahamas during November 2015. A&M won the game 84-73.
Ticket sales will begin Sunday Oct. 22 at 5 p.m. with prices starting at $50 and will be sold as high as $1,000 for courtside seats.