Freshman Heather Abadie stalls out during the pole vaulting competition at the SEC Indoor Track and Field Championship on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022.
Soaring for success
Youngchan Kang, JOUR 359 contributor • May 8, 2024

Supported by an athletic family background, junior Heather Abadie has continued to soar toward her ultimate Olympic goal as she sits atop Texas...

Alabama leads Texas A&M 28-13 at halftime

Bryan Johnson

Freshman kick returner Christian Kirk crosses into the end zone during Texas A&M’s Saturday matchup against Alabama.

Highlighted by two 50-plus yard field goals, two pick sixes and a punt return for a touchdown, Alabama leads Texas A&M 28-13 at halftime.

Early on, Kyle Allen looked to have some big game jitters, not setting his feet before throws and rushing things on offense. That affected A&M’s ability to move the ball, and the Crimson Tide secondary made him pay dearly. Allen made an errant throw over the head of intended receiver Caden Smith and into the waiting arms of Alabama defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick, who returned it 33 yards to the house for a quick Alabama touchdown to make it 7-0.

The Aggie offense continued to struggle chemistry wise, and were forced to punt on three of their first four drives, amassing only 50 yards of offense on those drives.

Alabama’s Derrick Henry gave some more point support to the Tide defense with a thundering 55-yard touchdown run to give Alabama the 14-0 lead, and hush the Aggie crowd.

Backed into a corner, the Aggie offense finally put points on the board late in the first quarter. After their drive stalled out in Alabama territory, Taylor Bertolet nailed a 55 yard field goal to make it 14-3.

Alabama responded with five-play, 68-yard drive that was capped by another touchdown run by Henry to push the Alabama lead to 21-3.

In the first half, Henry had 178 yards rushing on 15 carries with two touchdowns. He ended the first quarter with 153 yards.

Finding themselves in a big 21-3 hole, A&M needed points on its next drive. After the Aggies drive stalled at the Alabama 33, Bertolet connected on his second field goal of the day, this time a 52 yarder, making it a 21-6 Alabama lead.

A&M began finding some momentum in the second quarter. After a defensive stop, the Aggie offense went to work to try and make it a one possession game. At the Alabama 30-yard line, Allen sailed a throw intended for Ricky Seals-Jones and Alabama’s Eddie Jackson took it 93 yards to the house, snatching all the momentum A&M had built out of the air to give Alabama a 28-6 advantage.

The Aggie defense made a stop to force an Alabama punt in their own territory. The only problem for Alabama is that they punted the ball into the arms of the most electric freshman in the nation, Christian Kirk.

Kirk fielded the punt, caught some very nice blocks down field, and sped off 68 yards for a touchdown to give the Aggies some momentum back. It was one of three non-offense touchdowns in the first half.
A&M had a chance for points to end the half and placed Kyler Murray in due to Allen’s costly turnovers. But, another 50-plus yard field goal attempt was considerably short, sending the Aggies into the locker room down by two possessions.

• Sophomore defensive end Myles Garrett rushes the passer late in the first half versus Alabama.

Bryan Johnson
  • Donovan Wilson and Claude George combine for a tackle during the first half of Texas A&M’s Saturday game against Alabama.

Bryan Johnson