Allen transfer spurs mixed reactions

Allen leaves A&M with a 9-5 record in 14 career starts.
Photo by Photo by Jenna Rabel

When it was announced on Thursday that quarterback Kyle Allen would be transferring from Texas A&M, effective immediately, shock began swirling around the A&M campus. In the few days that have passed, several Aggie students have had time to decipher all the information and develop their viewpoint on the situation.
Jett Johnson, an accounting sophomore, said it was inevitable one of the A&M quarterbacks would transfer, but he was a bit surprised Allen ended up being the one. Johnson speculated it may be because offensive coordinator Jake Spavital could be on his way out or simply because Allen is tired of competing for the job every week.
“Mid-season, most people realized that there was no way to keep two 5-star quarterbacks on a roster,but toward the end of the season, with uncertainty still lingering at the position, it seemed possible,” Johnson said. “I, for one, thought Kyle Allen saw potential in the fact that Kyler [Murray] would not be playing spring football and that he would realize he can lock himself in as the starter.”
Andrew Hazelwood, an agricultural economics freshman, voiced a similar sentiment. He said Murray has what it takes to lead the Aggies, but the offense as a whole needs to improve if they want to contend for a SEC West crown next season.
“I wish Kyle Allen the best of luck, but I sure wish he would have stayed and battled in the offseason for a starting spot. It is concerning that we only have two scholarship quarterbacks going into next season and neither one is proven at this point,” Hazelwood said. “It’s up to Kyler Murray now to change the state of the Texas A&M offense.”
Hazelwood said the A&M program at a crossroads right now.
“If we cannot improve our record and get back on track, it could set A&M up for a couple of rough seasons going forward,” Hazelwood said. “If our offense improves and Murray lives up to his potential, then I see no reason A&M cannot win at least 10 games next year.”
Aadithya Srivatsav, business freshman, said the coaching staff deserves part of the blame for Allen’s transfer, and that if things don’t improve next season, it could bring widespread changes to the staff.
“Kevin Sumlin promised too much to Kyler when he clearly wasn’t ready, and when Allen was ripped apart by the press and fans, no one defended him,” Srivatsav said. “The biggest impact is to see if Spavital is eventually fired, will that change Tate Martell’s decision in 2017? Right now, the ball is in Kyler’s hands and it’s time for him to show why he was a 5-star recruit. If he doesn’t perform, it could be the end of the Sumlin era.”