A&M adds Central Michigan transfer Trey Jones

Photo by Ishika Samant

Graduate DB Sam Mathews (12) celebrates after a tackle during Texas A&M’s game against ACU on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2023 at Kyle Field. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)

Texas A&M football picked up its fifth transfer of the offseason in Central Michigan junior defensive back Trey Jones on Monday, Dec. 18. Jones announced his decision on X, commiting to the Aggies over the likes of LSU, Tennessee and Florida.

The Alabama native will be entering his sixth season of college football after five years with the Chippewas. In 44 games at Central Michigan, Jones tallied 188 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, three interceptions and eight pass breakups.
His most productive campaign came in 2022, when he made 85 tackles and 6.5 tackles for loss while picking off two passes and breaking up five others. In 2023, he recorded 66 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, one interception and three breakups while forcing a fumble.
Defensive back is a position of need for A&M after juniors Jardin Gilbert and Tyreek Chappell and sophomore Deuce Harmon entered the transfer portal. Gilbert committed to LSU on Dec. 15. The Aggies’ first portal pickup was Kansas State sophomore cornerback Will Lee III on Dec. 10.