A&M adds SMU transfer Zhuric Phelps

Photo by Robert O’Brien
Junior F Julius Marble (34) jumps to dunk during Texas A&M’s game against SMU at Reed Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2022.

Texas A&M men’s basketball strengthened its backcourt with the addition of SMU guard Zhuric Phelps through the transfer portal on Tuesday, April 30.

A native of Midland, Phelps spent three seasons with the Mustangs, making appearances in 95 games. He started all but one game over the past two years, averaging 17.5 and 14.8 points in the 2022-23 and 2023-24 campaigns, respectively.

Phelps totaled 158 steals at SMU, including 131 over the past two seasons. He added 218 assists in three years along with 25 steals over the past two seasons. His 3-point percentage fell from 30.9% to 21.6% between 2022-23 and 2023-24, while his free throw rate rose from 60.9% to 74.1%.

Last season, Phelps was named to the All-American Athletic Conference Second Team as well as the NABC All-District 24 First Team. When the Mustangs took on the Aggies in College Station on November 30, 2022, Phelps put up 23 points with a career-high five 3-pointers. He declared for the NBA Draft in April 2023, but opted to return to SMU.

Phelps was an ESPN four-star prospect and the No. 9 player in Texas as a high school senior in 2021. He capped off his prep career by leading Duncanville High School to a 6A state championship and became the first player since 2008 to be named UIL 6A MVP, win a state title and be named MVP of the State Tournament.

Phelps marks the third transfer portal pickup for coach Buzz Williams and the Aggies this offseason. He joins Nebraska small forward CJ Wilcher and Minnesota center Pharrel Payne.