A&M announces 2017 Athletic Hall of Fame class

Photo by By Lawrence Smelser

Former A&M linebacker Von Miller headlined the 2017 A&M Athletic Hall of Fame class.

The 2017 Texas A&M Athletic Hall of Fame class was announced Monday afternoon. The list included Von Miller, Danielle Adams, Jessica Beard, Eric Sehn, Jim Hacker and the late Antonio Armstrong.
These former Aggies will be inducted at the annual Burgess Banquet on September 15.
Miller was a linebacker for A&M from 2007-10 and consensus First Team All-American in 2010. Miller was also the winner of the 2010 Butkus Award. His junior year, he led the nation with 17 sacks.
Miller was the second pick in the 2011 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos and was named Defensive Rookie of the Year that season. Miller helped lead the Broncos to their third Super Bowl in 2016 and was named MVP of Super Bowl 50.
Adams was a key component to the 2011 women’s basketball national championship team, scoring a team-high 30 points in the national championship game against Notre Dame to earn Most Outstanding Player honors. Despite only being an Aggie for two seasons, Adams is the lone women’s basketball player to have her jersey retired.
Beard was the winner of the 2011 Bowerman Award after claiming national titles in the 400m in both indoor and outdoor track. Beard was also a member of the 4×400 relay team that won a national title at the 2011 outdoor championships. During her time at A&M, the women’s outdoor track team claimed three straight national championships from 2009-11.
Sehn was a standout on the men’s diving team from 2005-07, 2009. Sehn scored a school-record 151 individual points in his NCAA Championships appearnaces and was named Diver of the Meet at the 2007 Big 12 Championships.
Jim Hacker was a member of the baseball team from 1971-1974 and was named a First Team All-American at second base and SWC Player of the Year in 1974. Hacker was also team captain in 1973 and 1974.
Armstrong was a cornerstone of the ‘Wrecking Crew’ defense at linebacker from 1991-94 and was named a First Team All-American in 1994. Armstrong was tragically shot and killed at his home last July.
Among others being recognized at the Burgess Banquet are A&M Letterman’s Association Hall of Honor inductees Dr. Tom Adair and Gay and Gale Oliver, III. The 2017 A&M Lifetime Achievement Award winner is former Aggie baseball player David Van Houten.