A&M athletics, BTHO Harvey partner for ‘Relief Out’ game Saturday

Photo by Courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics
BTHO Harvey T-shirt

Almost two weeks since Hurricane Harvey devastated the Gulf Coast and Houston area, Texas A&M continues to help bring relief and awareness to those in need, including granting free admission to the first two home games of the season for those affected by Harvey and now planning Saturday as a “Relief Out” game.
In a partnership with BTHO Harvey, a student led organization aimed to helping relief efforts, and C. C. Creations, Texas A&M Athletics will be selling a shirt throughout the week leading up to the game in which all proceeds will go do directly to the American Red Cross.

On Wednesday, the A&M athletic department announced that Saturday’s game against Nicholls State will be the “Relief Out,” where the university is encouraging all of those who will attend the game to wear the shirt to support the BTHO Harvey cause.

“We are encouraging all current students, former students, and fans of Aggie football to wear their #BTHOharvey shirt to the Nicholls State game this Saturday,” Hannah Gallagher, head Maroon Out director, told 12thman.com. “This ‘Relief Out’ is a powerful symbol of unity and a visible statement that will show the world that Texas A&M is standing with those who have been affected by Hurricane Harvey and pledging our support. With your help, we can BTHO Harvey and ‘Relief Out’ Kyle Field.”

Former Texas A&M defensive end Von Miller, who was named Super Bowl 50 MVP, announced that he would donate 100,000 dollars through BTHO Harvey and challenged other former students to also donate whatever they could to do the same.

“My participation in this relief effort comes with a willingness to put my hands in the dirt and my boots on the ground alongside my fellow Aggies,” Miller said to Texas A&M Today. “I’m giving $100,000 through BTHO Harvey to the American Red Cross as a challenge to other former students of Texas A&M University to donate what they can to help victims of this horrible tragedy get back on their feet, into their homes, and moving quickly toward some sort of normalcy.”

Texas A&M athletic director Scott Woodward said earlier this week that the Aggie Spirit of selfless service and loyalty shown by the student’s initiative to start their own relief effort of their own is what made the athletic department’s decision join in an easy one.

“The ability of the 12th Man to mobilize for the greater good continues to astound me,” Woodward said. “We are so proud of this effort and very pleased to be a part of it.”

A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin said earlier this week that the unity that binds Aggies together is what allows the for Texas A&M to make an impact on the community and beyond.

“I know the impact and power of the 12th Man,” Sumlin said. “When Aggies come together in support of something close to our hearts, we can have a great impact. The circumstances along the Gulf Coast have touched the lives of many of our players, coaches and their families. Understanding what so many people are going through, we felt we needed to continue to do whatever we can to provide support.”

The shirt can be bought on campus and the Warehouse leading up to the game. For more information visit,http://www.bthoharvey.org.

• Former Aggie linebacker and Superbowl MVP Von Miller was in attendance Sunday afternoon. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel