A&M fails to rein in victory over Auburn in SEC Equestrian Championship

Photo by Adriano Espinosa
Texas A&M rider Brooke Brombach during Texas A&M’s match against South Carolina on Saturday, Feb. 10, 2024, at Hildebrand Equestrian Center. (Adriano Espinosa/The Battalion)

Texas A&M equestrian fell to Auburn in the 2024 SEC Championship final, 13-6, with a raw score of 1,631.33-1,522.83 on Saturday, March 30 at the Hildebrand Equine Complex.

The top-seeded Aggies and the 3-seed Tigers are familiar, having faced off twice already this season, splitting the previous two matchups. The teams’ most recent contest was the regular season finale, when Auburn captured a dominant 13-5 win. The latest duel was no different, as the Tigers were in control of the meet from the start en route to a sixth-straight SEC Championship.

In what was an otherwise competitive day, the Tigers grabbed the reins early with a sweep of the Flat event, capturing all 5 points. Auburn junior Mary-Grace Segars once again thrived against the Maroon and White with a whopping 94.67 score.

A&M fought back in a competitive Reining event, adding 3 points to its tally on the backs of junior Lauren Hanson, graduate Emmy-Lu Marsh and senior Keese Luers. Junior Mattie Gustin had A&M’s best performance in Reining but was narrowly beaten by sophomore Alexia Tordoff, 73.33-72.50.

After the first two events, A&M trailed the Tigers by a score of 7-3. Following the break, the Aggies mounted a small comeback attempt by winning a quick 2 points in Fences.

Fences proved to be an event with the highest of highs and lowest of lows for A&M. Senior Devon Thomas had a record-breaking 94.00 score, which was bested by fellow Aggie freshman Ali Treuting’s 94.67 performance. Unfortunately for A&M, those would be the only 2 points scored in Fences. The event ended with Auburn winning the Jumping Seat events 8-2.

In Horsemanship, Aggie junior Hanna Olaussen and Tordoff drew even with a score of 75.33. The final blow for the Aggies and the moment of triumph for the Tigers was freshman Sydney Swallom’s decisive 74.17-71.00 win over A&M senior Ella Petak to clinch the trophy.

Auburn’s Western team walked over to the arena where the final Fences performances were taking place to cheer on their teammates and celebrate with fans in attendance.

The title marked the sixth-straight SEC Championship and seventh overall for the Tigers. A&M is still seeking its first championship and will return to action for the NCEA Championship in Ocala, Florida on April 18.

View Comments (1)