A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

A&M fails to rein in victory over Auburn in SEC Equestrian Championship

Photo by Adriano Espinosa
Texas A&M rider Brooke Brombach during Texas A&M’s match against South Carolina on Saturday, Feb. 10, 2024, at Hildebrand Equestrian Center. (Adriano Espinosa/The Battalion)

Texas A&M equestrian fell to Auburn in the 2024 SEC Championship final, 13-6, with a raw score of 1,631.33-1,522.83 on Saturday, March 30 at the Hildebrand Equine Complex.

The top-seeded Aggies and the 3-seed Tigers are familiar, having faced off twice already this season, splitting the previous two matchups. The teams’ most recent contest was the regular season finale, when Auburn captured a dominant 13-5 win. The latest duel was no different, as the Tigers were in control of the meet from the start en route to a sixth-straight SEC Championship.

In what was an otherwise competitive day, the Tigers grabbed the reins early with a sweep of the Flat event, capturing all 5 points. Auburn junior Mary-Grace Segars once again thrived against the Maroon and White with a whopping 94.67 score.

A&M fought back in a competitive Reining event, adding 3 points to its tally on the backs of junior Lauren Hanson, graduate Emmy-Lu Marsh and senior Keese Luers. Junior Mattie Gustin had A&M’s best performance in Reining but was narrowly beaten by sophomore Alexia Tordoff, 73.33-72.50.

After the first two events, A&M trailed the Tigers by a score of 7-3. Following the break, the Aggies mounted a small comeback attempt by winning a quick 2 points in Fences.

Fences proved to be an event with the highest of highs and lowest of lows for A&M. Senior Devon Thomas had a record-breaking 94.00 score, which was bested by fellow Aggie freshman Ali Treuting’s 94.67 performance. Unfortunately for A&M, those would be the only 2 points scored in Fences. The event ended with Auburn winning the Jumping Seat events 8-2.

In Horsemanship, Aggie junior Hanna Olaussen and Tordoff drew even with a score of 75.33. The final blow for the Aggies and the moment of triumph for the Tigers was freshman Sydney Swallom’s decisive 74.17-71.00 win over A&M senior Ella Petak to clinch the trophy.

Auburn’s Western team walked over to the arena where the final Fences performances were taking place to cheer on their teammates and celebrate with fans in attendance.

The title marked the sixth-straight SEC Championship and seventh overall for the Tigers. A&M is still seeking its first championship and will return to action for the NCEA Championship in Ocala, Florida on April 18.

View Comments (1)