A&M focuses on maintaining control of the game with Ole Miss on the horizon

Sophomore wide receiver Jhamon Ausbon will be out for an undetermined amount of time following surgery on a broken foot.

After two consecutive losses to Southeastern Conference opponents on the road, Texas A&M is looking forward to a slate of three home games to finish out the season, starting with Ole Miss on Saturday.
Head coach Jimbo Fisher said that though the losses may look reminiscent of late season collapses in past years, they are really just a lesson for his team in how to compete against tough competition.
“I’m not saying we’re not as tough,” Fisher said. “We haven’t learned. We haven’t been there to know. We don’t know how to be there. We have to keep learning; we have to keep teaching.”
This Saturday, a familiar face could potentially return to the field, Fisher said. Sophomore wide receiver Jhamon Ausbon, who has been out for the last month with a foot injury could be instrumental in reviving a receiving corps that has struggled over the last couple of weeks.
“It’s going to be really big for us,” Mond said. “[He’s] not a blazer, but definitely runs very crisp routes and has really sure hands and a super hard worker. [I’m] looking forward to getting him back.”
Last Saturday against Auburn, the Aggies held a 24-14 lead going into the fourth quarter, but the Tigers converted an interception into points to swing momentum their way and earn a 28-24 win over Texas A&M.
Fisher said the team’s focus is on learning to dominate the entire game.
“We need to learn to take the air out of the opponent, not give them the hope to dominate in any phase, in any way shape or form,” Fisher said. “It’s not that you get comfortable; it’s not that you relax, but you feel confident. There’s a difference in being confident in how you’re playing and being dominant in how you’re playing and learning to take complete air out of [opponents].”
A&M’s sophomore quarterback Kellen Mond had a 50 percent completion rate, completing 16 of 32 passes for 220 yards. Fisher said that he is “1000 percent” confident in Mond’s ability moving forward.
“The tape says so,” Fisher said. “He played a good football game.”
The Aggie defense gave up several big plays against Auburn, including three third-and-long conversions. Junior linebacker Tyrel Dodson said that the unit’s mentality remains the same, regardless of the result.
“[Confidence] is still the same,” Dodson said. “We know what we’re capable of–we just have to go back to work and focus on the little details.”
The Aggies will kickoff against Ole Miss at 11 a.m. on Saturday. The game will be televised on CBS.