Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

A&M goes 4-0 to open 2017 season at the Aggie Classic

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Sophomore infielder Riley Sartain and Junior center Ashley Walters celebrate after ending the inning. 

Following a thrilling 2-1 comeback win to defeat Lamar on Friday, No. 18 Texas A&M kept the offense going the remainder of the weekend, finishing undefeated to start the softball season. 
The first game provided a roller coaster of emotions as the nationally ranked A&M was down to Lamar for the majority if the game. Junior outfielder Erica Russell made what Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans called a game-saving play in the top of the fifth inning to stop Lamar’s offensive attack.
“I really believe that if she doesn’t make that catch, we don’t win the game, that was a phenomenal catch out there,” Evans said.
A&M mounted a successful comeback in the sixth inning that allowed them to escape the upset. Sophomore pitcher Samantha Show delivered the game winning hit to give the Aggies the lead.
On day two of the Aggie Classic, Texas A&M played its first doubleheader of the season against Central Michigan and Ohio State.
Game one of the day resulted in four lead changes between the Aggies and Central Michigan. It all began when A&M jumped to an early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. However, The Chippewas would respond on the top of the third inning with a three-run homerun from shortstop Morgan Gardner to take the lead. The Aggies were able to capitalize on a throwing error by Central Michigan to tie the game at three apiece in the bottom half of the inning.
A&M took the lead in the bottom of the third and held it for an inning before CMU once again reclaimed it. After managing to tie the game once again, A&M entered into the bottom of the sixth with intentions to claim the lead. Junior catcher Ashley Walters delivered a crucial three-RBI double which would be the difference down the stretch.
Show earned her second win of the season after entering the game in relief of freshman Payton McBride, striking out five batters and allowing a single hit.
The Aggie offense exploded in the second game of the day against Ohio State. After OSU took the 1-0 lead in the first inning in the bottom half, A&M tied the game up then later and tacked on another in the second. It was a five-run third inning that contributed to the Aggies eventual run rule victory over Ohio State. 
Sunday marked the final day of the Aggie Classic with the second meeting between A&M and Lamar. Unlike game one, which was an offensive stalemate, game four of the weekend kicked off with an A&M score in the bottom of the first inning. Lamar responded in the second inning to tie the game up. Sophomore Kaitlyn Alderink delivered an RBI double to give the Aggies the 3-1 lead in the bottom half of the third inning.
Despite cutting A&M’s lead to one run in the sixth inning, Lamar was unable to find the bats needed to upset the Aggies. Junior Trinity Harrington earned her first win of the season pitching six complete innings, allowing four hits on and two walks on her first outing of the season. Last year, Harrington dealt with a back injury that limited the amount of time she was able to pitch. However, following Sunday’s win, Harrington said she is healthy and going through rehab to help her stay in prime pitching.
“We’ve been working really hard with rehab in the training room to make sure I’m ready to go when they need me” Harrington said. “Which is great and I’ve been feeling a lot healthier at the start of this season which is so satisfying to be able to tell people that I’m feeling great now.”
Show came in to relieve Harrington and earned the save for the Aggies on Sunday. After the game, Show said she was happy with the way the team performed but said there are a few things they can work on leading up to the next Wednesday’s matchup against Sam Houston State.
“I think it was a good start to our season,” Show said. “I’m excited to see where we take this weekend and all of our improvements this week in practice and move on.”
Evans said her team showed poise and experience this weekend in the different challenges they faced with each team they played.
“I am really happy that we are 4-0,” Evans said. “Any time you enter a tournament or a game, you expect to win. I am happy about winning this tournament. I was happy with our fight. It wasn’t easy. We got challenged. We had our backs against the wall, and I thought we did nice job handling that. There was no panic or lack of confidence. We went out there and took care of business.”