A&M has successful day two of NCAA Outdoor Championship, Acquah earns bronze medal

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Sophomore Deborah Acquah placed fourth in the women’s long jump with a mark of 6.07 meters at The Reveille on April 6 at E.B. Cushing Stadium.

Texas A&M continues to find success in the second day of the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships behind the women’s team big outings.
In the NCAA long-jump final, A&M had one contestant in Deborah Acquah.
After staying in sixth place until the final round, Acquah had to have a special jump in her last three attempts to have a chance at a medal. She was able to break the school-record of 21-5 ¼ (6.53) with her 21-9 (6.53) jump in the fifth round to move into third overall and earn a bronze medal.
Syaira Richardson had a strong showing on Thursday in the 400 meter,  advancing her to the NCAA final. Richardson finished her heat in third place with a time of 51.60.
“It was pretty much all about execution for me,” Richardson told 12thman.com. “I was confident waiting on the other times, and after watching the second heat I knew I was in.”
The only freshman to compete in the NCAA semifinal, Tierra Robinson-Jones, ran a 52.92 to place fourth in her heat of the 400m. She finished the event at 12th overall.
Jazmine Frey won her heat in the NCAA 800m semifinal to advance to the NCAA final. Her run of 2:03.08 was the second-fastest overall time for the day.
Frey, the collegiate leader in the 800m, said she knew that she was in a deep field, but the competition only elevated her performance.
“I knew I would have to be on my A game,” Frey told 12thman.com. “I kind of like to do my own thing, focus on my race, and execute my plan. I was excited to make it to the finals.”
The Aggie women foursome Jarra Owens, Robinson-Jones, Jaevin Reed and Richardson continues A&M success on the day. Their combined time of 3:32.18 propelled them to finish in third place as the final time qualifier for the NCAA final.
On the men’s team, Nathan Hite entered the second day of the decathlon sitting at 15th overall with 3,856 total points. He started out the decathlon scoring 795 points after his 15.46 run in the 110m hurdles.
Going into the final event, Hite looked to secure his position in the top 15. He was able to do just that as his time of 4:46.58 in the 1,500m pushed his total to 7,348 points to finish the NCAA decathlon in 13th place.
A&M will look to capitalize off of another strong outing in the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships as they go into the third day. Day three will begin at 2:30 p.m. as the women’s javelin NCAA final gets underway at Mike A. Myers Stadium. The event will be broadcasted on ESPN.