A&M makes short trip to Huntsville to take on SHSU in midweek matchup

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Freshman Riley Sartain

No. 17 Texas A&M softball will travel Wednesday to Huntsville for a doubleheader matchup against Sam Houston State.
The Aggies (32-11) look to remain hot before they travel to Missouri. Texas A&M is coming off a 14-1 victory over SEC rival No. 4 Alabama. The run-rule victory Saturday night helped the Aggies avoid their sixth straight loss.
The Aggies totaled 14 runs on 14 hits in the contest. This result ended up being the largest victory in a conference game and the second most runs Alabama has ever allowed in their 18 year history. Freshman pitcher Samantha Show earned her 19th victory of the season allowing one run on three hits.
In their previous matchup, the Aggies outscored the Bearkats 8-0 in five innings of play. The A&M offense scored five runs in the bottom portion of the second inning and later added three in the bottom of the fifth to close out the game. The Bearkat offense was not able to get any runs across the board due to Show’s standout performance in what would be her third win of the season and her career. Show allowed one hit with three strikeouts in a complete game. 
Sam Houston State (15-27) is looking to bounce back after losing two of three games this past weekend when they faced conference foe Houston Baptist. After their midweek matchup against the Aggies, SHSU will travel to face Abilene Christian.
Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans said despite the large win in the final game of the Alabama series, she expects her team to perform to a high standard regardless of the opponent.

“It’s really important that we stay sharp, we need to keep our game at a high level and play with a lot of intensity,” Evans said. “It shouldn’t matter who you play, because there’s only one way you should play the game. We have to keep our game at that high level, that way we won’t have any glitches or hiccups.”

Game one of the doubleheader is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday in Huntsville and game two will begin 30 minutes after the completion of game one.