A&M men’s and women’s track finish third, seventh at SEC Championships

Photo by Errol Anderson
Texas A&M Track

This past weekend, the Texas A&M track and field team traveled to Nashville, Tennessee for the SEC championships. The men’s team finished in a third place tie with 76 points, while the women finished seventh with 47 points. The Aggies won four events on the final day, including recording the fastest men’s 4X400m time ever on an oversized indoor track.
“We had a really good meet across the board,” Texas A&M head coach Pat Henry told 12thman.com. “I’m disappointed with the points on both sides a little bit. With the men we tie for third and we had someone knocked down in the 800m. But that’s track, something like that happens all the time.”
Fred Kerley (45.0), Richard Rose (45.8), Devin Dixon (46.1), and Mylik Kerley (45.5) posted a time of 3:02.49, which broke the collegiate record of 3:02.52 set by the Aggies earlier this season.

Audie Wyatt won the men’s pole vault event with a height of 17–11. He also attempted a height of 18-2, which would have surpassed the meet record of 18-1 set by Wyatt last year.

The Kerley brothers also competed in the 400m, with Fred Kerley(45.2) finishing first and Mylik Kerley(45.75) finishing fourth.

“The goal is to be part of something great this year,” Fred Kerley said to 12thman.com. “So, I feel blessed to have gold medals from two events at the SEC Championships. In the relay we ran the fastest time ever at Texas A&M. It’s only up from here for the NCAAs, I believe we will open up the gap even better.”

Lindon Victor improved his school record in the heptathlon to 5,851 points as he finished runner-up to the 6,047 winning total for Devon Williams of Georgia. Victor surpassed the Texas A&M record of 5,805 points he set earlier this season.

Sophomore Jazmine Fray won the 800m with a time of 2:02.62, second on the A&M all-time list behind her own record.

The Aggie women scored 15 points in the 200m final as the trio of Danyel White (23.42), Aaliyah Brown (23.44) and Diamond Spaulding (23.46) finished 1-2-3 in the first section and placed 3-4-5 overall. A career best of 53.56 placed freshman Jaevin Reed sixth in the women’s 400m final and moved her to No. 9 on the school’s all-time list.

The next stop for the Aggies is the NCAA championships, which will be held in College Station March 10th and 11th.