There continues to be an increase in Aggies working in D.C. The PPIP program at A&M is one instrumental program for students to shape their careers. (Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Why D.C. wants all the Aggies
Stacy Cox, News Reporter • April 22, 2024

More Aggies are calling Washington, D.C. home than ever with the aid of programs like the Public Policy Internship Program, or PPIP. The program...

Sophomore DB Jacoby Mattews (2) and sophomore DB Sam McCall (16) attempt to stop LSU WR Malik Nabers during Texas A&Ms game against LSU on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023 at Tiger Stadium (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded pass catcher
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 22, 2024

As NFL defenses have found ways to stifle scoring opportunities and keep the lid on big plays, a bigger burden falls on the pass catchers for...

Members of Aggie Replant pick up trash at Aggie Park on Feb. 5, 2024. (Photo courtesy of Mayra Puga)
Aggies come together to promote sustainability
Ayena Kaleemullah, Life & Arts Writer • April 22, 2024

As Earth Day arrives in Aggieland, talks about environmental action are growing. From planting trees to creating an impactful sustainable lifestyle,...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

A&M parts ways with head coach Jimbo Fisher

Photo by Chris Swann/The Battalion

Texas A&M Head Coach Jimbo Fisher adjusts his suit before Texas A&M’s game against Alabama on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

After six seasons as head coach of Texas A&M football, Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies are set to part ways, per Billy Liucci of TexAgs.
“After very careful analysis of all the components related to Texas A&M football, I recommended to President [Mark] Welsh and then Chancellor [John] Sharp that a change in the leadership of the program was necessary in order for Aggie football to reach our full potential and they accepted my decision,” athletic director Ross Bjork said in a statement. “We appreciate Coach Fisher’s time here at Texas A&M and we wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
Welsh also issued a statement regarding Fisher’s termination.
“The decision to part ways with Coach Fisher is the result of a thorough evaluation of the football program’s performance, and what’s in the best interest of the overall program and Texas A&M University,” Welsh said. “Athletic Director Ross Bjork has my full support as he begins a national search for a new head coach. I am confident he will find a great coach and leader with a commitment to the values that drive Texas A&M. I want to thank our student athletes for their dedication, hard work and the inspiration they give me and all Aggie fans each and every week. I would also like to thank Coach Fisher for his years of service and commitment to his players, coaches and this university. I wish him the very best as he begins his next chapter.”
During his tenure in College Station, Fisher was 45-25 with his best season coming in 2020 when the Aggies went 9-1 with a victory over North Carolina in the Orange Bowl. Fisher also produced the first No. 1-ranked recruiting class in school history in 2022.
The decision was made coming off a disappointing season in 2022 where the Aggies went 5-7 with a loss to Appalachian State. 2023 offered a chance for Fisher to prove himself, yet the Maroon and White are 6-4. Fisher’s firing comes on the heels of A&M’s 51-10 win over Mississippi State on Saturday, Nov. 11.
A&M must now pay Fisher the remaining $76.8 million of the eight years remaining on his contract, according to The Bryan-College Station Eagle.
A coaching search now begins while the Aggies still have two regular season games remaining as well as a bowl game. A&M returns to Kyle Field against Abilene Christian on Saturday, Nov. 18 at 11 a.m.
UPDATE: Assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson is expected to be named interim head coach, per Pete Thamel of ESPN.