A&M parts ways with head coach Jimbo Fisher

Photo by Photo by Chris Swann/The Battalion

Texas A&M Head Coach Jimbo Fisher adjusts his suit before Texas A&M’s game against Alabama on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

After six seasons as head coach of Texas A&M football, Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies are set to part ways, per Billy Liucci of TexAgs.
“After very careful analysis of all the components related to Texas A&M football, I recommended to President [Mark] Welsh and then Chancellor [John] Sharp that a change in the leadership of the program was necessary in order for Aggie football to reach our full potential and they accepted my decision,” athletic director Ross Bjork said in a statement. “We appreciate Coach Fisher’s time here at Texas A&M and we wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
Welsh also issued a statement regarding Fisher’s termination.
“The decision to part ways with Coach Fisher is the result of a thorough evaluation of the football program’s performance, and what’s in the best interest of the overall program and Texas A&M University,” Welsh said. “Athletic Director Ross Bjork has my full support as he begins a national search for a new head coach. I am confident he will find a great coach and leader with a commitment to the values that drive Texas A&M. I want to thank our student athletes for their dedication, hard work and the inspiration they give me and all Aggie fans each and every week. I would also like to thank Coach Fisher for his years of service and commitment to his players, coaches and this university. I wish him the very best as he begins his next chapter.”
During his tenure in College Station, Fisher was 45-25 with his best season coming in 2020 when the Aggies went 9-1 with a victory over North Carolina in the Orange Bowl. Fisher also produced the first No. 1-ranked recruiting class in school history in 2022.
The decision was made coming off a disappointing season in 2022 where the Aggies went 5-7 with a loss to Appalachian State. 2023 offered a chance for Fisher to prove himself, yet the Maroon and White are 6-4. Fisher’s firing comes on the heels of A&M’s 51-10 win over Mississippi State on Saturday, Nov. 11.
A&M must now pay Fisher the remaining $76.8 million of the eight years remaining on his contract, according to The Bryan-College Station Eagle.
A coaching search now begins while the Aggies still have two regular season games remaining as well as a bowl game. A&M returns to Kyle Field against Abilene Christian on Saturday, Nov. 18 at 11 a.m.
UPDATE: Assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator Elijah Robinson is expected to be named interim head coach, per Pete Thamel of ESPN.