A&M picked fifth in the West, three Aggies earn All-SEC honors

Photo by By Alex Miller

Wide receiver Christian Kirk was named First Team All-SEC at three positions.

Texas A&M was picked by the media to finish fifth in the SEC West and three Aggies earned All-SEC preseason honors announced Friday morning.
A&M was selected behind Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Arkansas respectively and ahead of Mississippi State and Ole Miss. Alabama was picked to win the entire conference, while Georgia was tabbed to win the East.
Junior wide receiver Christian Kirk was a First Team selection at receiver, return specialist and all-purpose player. Kirk led the SEC with 83 receptions in 2016, 11 more than the second highest receiver.
Kirk also showed his home-run ability at returner and led the nation with three punt return touchdowns, averaging 21.7 yards per return. Kirk is the FBS’ active career leader in punt return average (23.1).
Kirk was named First Team All-SEC at receiver, return specialist and all-purpose player in 2016.
Senior safety Armani Watts was named a First Team defensive back. Watts is A&M’s leading active career tackler (241) and proved to be a dynamic defender in 2016. Watts was on a short list of SEC players who recorded at least two interceptions, pass breakups, forced fumbles, recovered fumbles, sacks and tackles for loss.
Junior offensive tackle Koda Martin was a Third Team selection on the offensive line and is expected to start at left tackle this season.