A&M pitchers Doxakis and Lacy named All-Americans

Photo by Meredith Seaver

Junior pitcher John Doxakis threw for eight innings against the Baylor Bears including 12 strikeouts and a 0.43 era.

After combining for a 15-8 dueling record in 2019, left-hand starting pitchers John Doxakis and Asa Lacy have been named All-Americans by the National Baseball Collegiate Writers Association.

Doxakis threw his way to a second-team selection while Lacy earned a third-team selection.The southpaws led from the mound on Friday and Saturday matchups, and held earned run averages of 2.06 and 2.13, respectively.

Both have been strikeout pitchers for the Aggies, with 115 strikeouts for Doxakis and 130 for Lacy.

After the conclusion of the season, Doxakis was selected by the Tampa Bay Rays in the second round of the MLB Draft. He later signed with the Rays for the full pick value of $1.13 million.
Lacy will spend his offseason with the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team after being invited during the SEC Tournament in early May. In his sophomore season at A&M, Lacy led all starting pitchers in wins, opposing batting average and threw two complete games.
The selections also marked the fourth time that multiple Aggie pitchers have been named to the All-American teams since 2010.
Doxakis and Lacy led the way to the most strikeouts by a pitching staff at A&M with 673 in 2019.