Junior Adela Cernousek tees off during the Bryan Regional of the NCAA Women’s Golf Championship at Traditions Golf Club on Monday, May 6, 2024. (Chris Swann/ The Battalion)
Aggies advance to NCAA Championships with fifth place in Bryan Regional

Texas A&M women’s golf coach Gerrod Chadwell may not be happy with the way his team wrapped up the NCAA Bryan Regional, but he can’t...

A&M prepares to protect Reed Arena against Mississippi State

Texas A&M guard Aicha Coulibaly (5) dribbles the ball past South Carolina guard Tessa Johnson (5) during Texas A&M’s game against South Carolina on Saturday, Jan. 6, 2024, in Reed Arena. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)

After falling short to Georgia on the road earlier this season, Texas A&M women’s basketball has struggled to maintain a winning streak, alternating wins and losses every week thereafter. On Jan. 28, the Florida Gators handed A&M its fifth loss of the season plus its fourth SEC loss.

The Aggies will return to Reed Arena on Sunday, Feb. 4 to take on a hot Mississippi State team that created quite the buzz earlier this week after taking down defending national champion LSU in Starkville, Mississippi.

The Bulldogs’ 5-2 record on the road proves the team is no stranger to dominating in unfamiliar territory. The squad is also 4-3 in SEC play and mirrors the Aggies with only five losses total this season.

Senior guard Jerkaila Jordan leads the Bulldogs in scoring, averaging 17.4 points a game. Jordan, who earned Co-SEC Player of the Week on Tuesday, contributed to the win over LSU with 24 points, five steals, four rebounds and two assists.

For the Aggies, the spotlight has been on the transfers who have led the team this season. Endyia Rogers leads the Aggies in scoring, averaging 16.7 points per game in SEC play. Making her presence felt on the boards is Arizona transfer forward Lauren Ware, who is averaging eight rebounds a game and is ranked No. 7 in the nation in rebounds per game.

After being unavailable versus South Carolina due to concussion protocol, sophomore F Janiah Barker, a key starter and returner for the Aggies. Barker returned from the bench for 10 minutes against Florida and added 6 points. Her playing time was limited after head-to-head contact with a Florida defender took her out of the game. She was evaluated for a concussion and did not return.

If cleared to play, Barker’s defense and scoring ability in the paint will be needed to give her team an advantage over the Bulldogs.

All eyes will be on Gary Blair Court this Sunday as the two teams battle it out for the win. Some familiar faces may adorn the crowd as the Aggie Basketball Reunion is scheduled for this weekend.

Tipoff is set for 3 p.m. and fans are encouraged to wear pink as a symbol of support towards breast cancer awareness.