A&M soccer loses SEC title to Florida

Soccer
Valerie Gunchick
Soccer

Two streaks ended for Aggie soccer on Sunday. In the SEC championship game against Florida, the Aggies allowed a goal for the first time in 521 minutes, which stopped them from winning a third straight SEC Championship.
After taking an early lead through the efforts of Haley Pounds, Florida fought back and scored two goals in a row to win 2-1 in the SEC Championship.
The 6-seeded Aggies (2-1) outshot the 1-seeded Gators 10-7 but were unable to convert in the second half. Junior goalkeeper Danielle Rice gave up her first goal of the season.
Florida (3-0), who also claimed the regular season SEC title, ended A&M’s streak of 521 minutes with a goal from junior forward Brooke Sharp to make it a 1-1 score.
The opening goal of the match occurred six minutes before Florida’s equalizer in the 23rd minute, when Pounds found the back of the net for the 12th time this season.
Just before the half, Florida took its permanent lead off a free kick. Gator senior Christen Westphal beat Rice to hand Florida the 2-1 advantage for good.
The NCAA Women’s College Cup bracket will be released Monday Nov. 9 at 3:30 p.m. Central Time Texas A&M tallied a 15-6-1 (6-4-1 SEC) overall record while Florida boasts a count of 17-3-1.