A&M softball hosts Arkansas for weekend series

Photo by Photo by: Jena Floyd

Freshman pitcher Samantha Show leads the nation with 16 victories in the circle.

After a tough loss against No. 9 Georgia this past weekend, the No. 11 Texas A&M softball team returns to College Station to host Arkansas at the Aggie Softball Complex.

The Aggies (27-6) come off a series that saw them swept for the first time all season. While in Athens, Georgia, the Aggies were outscored by the Bulldogs 22-7, the largest margin the team has been outscored all season. Despite the losses, freshman Keelli Milligan recorded her nation-leading 38th stolen base. Milligan’s 38 stolen bases moves her in 3rd place all-time in the Texas A&M record books.

Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans said that although the outcome in the Georgia series was not what she expected, she was pleased to see her team grow from the loss. Evans also said that the response she received from the team this week was exactly what she expected.

“We’re a young ball club, so you never know how your youngsters are going to react when things don’t go their way,” Evans said. “It’s been a little easy for them, everything has fallen into place. I don’t want anyone to think that I am happy about the loss because it was a grueling series, but just the way they’ve come back and understand that if you let one weekend define you, you’re in big trouble.”

Senior outfielder Cali Lanphear said she believes the team can bounce back from the loss when they face Arkansas based on the all-around leadership on the team regardless of classification.

“Seniors can set an example, but we have a lot of youngsters that can also set an example,” Lanphear said. “Keelli and Kaitlyn at the top of the line-up, if they can get things going this weekend, then that can set the tone for the team as well.”
Texas A&M is set to face Arkansas beginning 5 p.m. Friday at the Aggie Softball Complex.