A&M softball swept in Missouri

Photo by Photo by Kaylee Cogbill

Sophomore Kylie George went in to pinch run in the sixth inning.

After two rough night games were highlighted by hitting struggles, the Texas A&M softball team managed to find some success at the plate Saturday afternoon in the series finale against the University of Missouri.
Ultimately though, it wasn’t enough as the Aggies were unable to score any of the 10 runners they left on base and fell 4-0 to extend their losing streak to six.
A&M junior pitcher Kendall Potts allowed three hits, which Missouri translated into three scored runs in the first inning.
Junior Payton McBride replaced Potts in the fifth inning, allowing one runner to reach base on a wild pitch with two outs. Missouri freshman infielder Jazmyn Rollin then stepped up to the plate to continue her dominance over A&M, knocking a single to center field and scoring senior outfielder Regan Nash.
The Aggies earned six hits on Missouri senior pitcher Madi Norman, who also pitched six strikeouts.
After Norman walked A&M senior infielder Riley Sartain on the first pitch of the sixth inning, sophomore Cassie Gasper replaced her on the mound. Gasper finished the inning with two strikeouts, then followed with a 1-2-3 seventh inning to shut out the Aggies.
A&M junior outfielder Kelbi Fortenberry notched a single in the first at-bat of the game, moving up to second after a bunt by freshman infielder Kayla Garcia. The Aggies’ luck ran out there though, as she was stranded on second.
The Tigers came out with as much ferocity as they had in the two games prior, utilizing an error to score the first run of the game. Rollin took a spot on base after being hit by a pitch. She then advanced to third on a single by sophomore catcher Hatti Moore before crossing home plate on an error by right field.
Sophomore infielder Kimberly Wert then followed that up with a two-run homerun to give Missouri a 3-0 lead.
The Tigers’ momentum ended there though, as from then on, the A&M pitchers allowed only two hits that earned Missouri an additional run.
The Aggies had several chances to score throughout the game, including a bases loaded situation in the second, though they couldn’t get a runner over home plate.
With two outs in the second, Sartain was hit by a pitch to land on base. Junior outfielder Blake-Ann Fritsch then followed with a single. An error allowed freshman Morgan Smith to reach first and load the bases. The Aggies were unable to capitalize, however, as the third out quickly followed.
The Aggies will next host Incarnate Word in a double-header on Wednesday. The first pitch of game one is set for 3 p.m., with the second game following at 5 p.m.