A&M swimming and diving moves past competition

Photo by Photo by Robert O’Brien

Freshman Trey Dickey dominated in the Men’s 1000 Yard Freestyle finishing 17 seconds ahead of the second place swimmer.

Texas A&M’s men’s and women’s swim and dive teams traveled to Louisiana State University on Jan. 22, where they won both their meets, one with flying colors and the other a little closer than expected.
No. 22 A&M women’s swimming and diving outperformed the Tigers from the start to the finish, winning their meet 181.5-111.5.
Sophomore freestyle swimmer Chloe Stepanek and freshman backstroke swimmer Aviv Barzelay finished first in their individual races and teamed up with two other Aggies to win the 400-meter freestyle relay with a time of 3:23.46. Stepanek won all three of her individual races, which included the 100-, 200- and 500-meter freestyle. Barzelay won the 200-meter backstroke with a time of 2:00.40.
As for the boards, Aimee Wilson finished in second place in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives. Wilson finished with a score of 307.43 in the 1-meter and 339.45 in the 3-meter.
The women’s swimming and diving team had Aggies who finished first place in 13 events, seven of which Aggies claimed both the first and second place spots.
The No. 23 A&M men’s swimming and diving meet finished with eight first place finishes and an overall meet victory.
Freshman Trey Dickey finished first in both the 500 and 1,000-meter freestyle races with a time of 4:30.99 and 9:21.43, respectively. As for senior diver Kurtis Mathews, he finished third in the 1-meter freestyle with a score of 370.35 and second in the 3-meter freestyle with a score of 391.35.
Men’s swimming and diving team had a combined six athletes finish first in their events and barely scraped by to win their meet 154-146.
The A&M men’s and women’s swimming and diving team will return home for its final dual meet of the season as they host SMU at 5 p.m. on Jan. 28 in the Rec Center Natatorium.