A&M track team earns 20 All-American honors

Devin Dixon is one of Texas A&M’s All-American Track & Field athletes.

The United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association announced its 2020 Indoor All-America Team on Tuesday, and 11 Aggies made the cut.
The men’s 4×400-meter team made the list, with each member also earning individual accolades. Grad student Bryce Deadmon and redshirt freshman Jamal Walton each earned All-American status in the 400-meter, while senior Devin Dixon and senior Carlton Orange earned the recognition for the 800-meter.
Junior Tyra Gittens was the only Division I athlete named to the list in three individual events: the pentathlon, high jump and long jump.
“Tyra is a very good athlete,” head coach Pat Henry told 12thman.com. “I wish she could’ve had this national championship to prove something to herself and others, she had a great season and I know she’ll be ready to go next year.”
Junior Deborah Acquah earned All-American status in the long jump and triple jump. Senior Ciynamon Stevenson joined Acquah with recognition in the triple jump.
The women’s 4×400-meter team also earned the recognition, with junior Syaira Richardson, freshman Charokee Young, sophomore Tierra Robinson-Jones and senior Jaevin Reed making the list. Richardson and Young also notched places on the 400-meter and 800-meter lists respectively.
“It’s an odd year just because we weren’t able to have championships and it’s a different year for everything,” Henry told 12thman.com. “Going off the national descending order list and the best performances during the season, this is a good indicator. It certainly is not a false indicator because every mark here was earned. It’s an accurate assessment of the best athletes in the nation.”