Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

A&M unable to get offense started in 3-1 loss against McNeese State

Photo by Photo by Brandon Holmes

Freshman outfielder Meagan Smith fields the ball back to infield. 

The No. 22 Texas A&M softball team fell to McNeese State 3-1 Sunday afternoon to close out the Texas A&M Invitational Tournament at Davis Diamond.
The Aggies struggled offensively at the plate, only managing to get four hits on the day. Despite multiple opportunities to score with several bases loaded scenarios, A&M couldn’t seem to find a spark.
A&M head coach Jo Evans said these missed opportunities at the plate was a main factor in the loss.
“It was a struggle for us offensively today, and I didn’t feel great about our missed opportunities,” Evans said. “We certainly had some opportunities a couple times with bases loaded, and we couldn’t step up and get a timely hit. Our pitchers gave us a chance to win, but offensively we need to be better and stronger throughout the lineup.”
The Cowgirls struck early in the first inning with after sophomore outfielder Toni Perrin was hit by Kayla Poynter’s pitch, bringing home senior outfielder Justyce McClain.
McNeese would later force a two-out error to right field in the first and earned two runs on a bases loaded scenario.
Sophomore pitcher Kayla Poynter came out with the loss and moves to 1-2 on the season. Poynter pitched six innings, allowing three runs on five hits and had five strikeouts on the day. McNeese’s junior pitcher Alexsandra Flores earned the win on the mound with four strikeouts, five walks and one run.
Evans said she was pleased with the pitching performance overall.
“I thought Kayla [Poynter] threw really well today actually,” Evans said. “She did a great job holding them down, because they are a good offensive team. … In the last inning, Kendall Potts came in and was really great in relief. I always feel that if our pitchers can keep the other team with one earned run, we should be able to win pretty much every game we play.”
A&M’s lone score came off of a sacrifice pop fly by freshman infielder Baylee Klingler to bring in freshman catcher Morgan Smith in the third inning.
Evans said the team is still learning how to adapt to game situations, but believes A&M can build from the tournament experience going forward.
“I thought our team was resilient and did a good job winning the close games,” Evans said. “…I thought our team fought hard. It got a little challenging with the weather, but I think we’re doing a good job managing the elements. I just want to see our team make some better adjustments as we move throughout the season.”
A&M will return to action Thursday against Nebraska in the Mary Nutter Classic tournament in Cathedral City, California at 5 p.m.