A&M-UT rivalry renewed — in baseball, at least

Photo by Vanessa Pena
Baseball vs. Mississippi State 2

(This story has been updated.)
The Aggies and Longhorns will renew their rivalry, but not on the football field.
As first reported by the Dallas Morning News, longtime rivals Texas A&M and Texas will face off on the baseball diamond in 2016 and 2017. The two programs last met three times in the 2014 Houston Regional in the NCAA baseball tournament. The Aggies lost the first meeting (8-1), won the second meeting (3-2) when facing elimination and then lost in the finale (4-1) with a trip to the Super Regional on the line.
While there is a set matchup for baseball, there are also many rumblings and rumors of the two foes finally getting together for a football game. Both schools’ head coaches Kevin Sumlin and Charlie Strong have made it evident  they would like to renew the series.
The two have not met since 2011 in College Station, right before the Aggies joined the SEC. There have also been ideas passed around of the two meeting on the basketball court next season in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament, which is normally hosted by ESPN. Texas A&M and Texas could be the headline first matchup for the tournament as well in 2015. Only time will tell, but one thing is for certain, the two schools are chomping at the bit to get back to playing one another.