A&M volleyball begins road trip with win over LSU

Aggie+Volleyball
Photo by File
Aggie Volleyball

The A&M volleyball team began its three-game road trip on a high note, taking down LSU 3-1 (22-25, 25-14, 25-13, 25-6) Friday night.

After dropping the first set due to a struggling start, the Aggies (8-6, 2-1 SEC) took command of the match, winning the final three games with ease to capture their fourth consecutive road victory over the Tigers (5-9, 0-3 SEC).

Leading the way for the Aggies was junior outside hitter Kiara McGee, who had a team-high 16 kills in the match while posting a career-best .519 hitting percentage. Senior middle blocker Jazzmin Babers played a key role in the game for A&M as well, recording her first double-double of the season with 10 kills and blocks apiece.

While the Tigers jumped ahead 12-5 early in the first set, the Aggies soon got within 12-11 but could not mount a complete comeback, dropping the opening game.

A tight second set ensued, but with A&M leading 16-14, the Aggies scored nine straight points to tie the game at one set a piece.

LSU took a 7-3 lead in the third set, but six kills each by freshman outside hitter Hollann Hans and McGee capped off a 16-1 A&M run that provided a sufficient lead the Aggies would not relinquish.

A&M cruised through the final set, as junior opposite Ashlie Reasor provided the match-winning kill.
The Aggies continue their road stretch this Wednesday, Oct. 5, when they travel to Arkansas to take on the Razorbacks in a nationally televised game on ESPNU at 8 p.m.