A&M women’s basketball defeats Drake in first round matchup

Photo by Photo by Brandon Holmes

Freshman Chennedy Carter comes up for the shot.

The Texas A&M women’s basketball team (25-9, 11-5 SEC) topped Drake University (26-8, 18-0 Missouri Valley Conference) 89-76 at Reed Arena in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday.

Freshman guard Chennedy Carter paced the Aggies in scoring with 26 points, adding 11 assists and five rebounds.
Three other Aggies also contributed double-digit points. Senior center Khaalia Hillsman posted 22 points, junior guard Danni Williams added 18, and junior forward Anriel Howard had 14.

The Aggies struggled throughout most of the game, ending with a 52.90 (36-of-68) shooting percentage compared to Drake’s 53.20 (33-of-62) percent. The Aggies also struggled with three-pointers, making only seven of the 16 they attempted.

The Aggies’ offense struggles early in the game, with the team making only 50 percent (11-of-22) of their first quarter shots compared to Drake’s 70.60 percent (12-of-17).  By the end of the first quarter, Drake led 28-26.

The Aggies fared better in the second quarter, jumping out on an 13-0 run, with Carter contributing seven of those points. This run pushed the Aggies to a permanent lead over the Drake Bulldogs.

Texas A&M then went on a 9-0 run to end the first half 57-42. It was during this run that Williams notched her 68th three-pointer of the season, setting a single-season school record for Texas A&M. Also during this quarter, the Aggies increased their shooting percentage to 60.50 percent, while the defense held the Bulldogs to 52.9 percent.

Three Aggies finished the first half with double-digit points. Carter led the charge with 19, Williams added 13, and Hillsman had 10.

The Aggies’ scoring woes returned in the third quarter, as the Aggies missed 10 of their 18 attempted shots. Fortunately for Texas A&M, Drake’s offense also struggled, allowing the Aggies to keep a 76-65 lead going into the fourth quarter. 

Both teams continued to struggle into the fourth quarter, but it ultimately didn’t matter as the Aggies ran away with the 89-76 win to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Texas A&M will host DePaul at Reed Arena on Sunday. The Blue Demons are 27-7 and coming off a 90-79 win over Oklahoma on Friday.