The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

A&M women’s basketball falls short against Missouri in overtime

Photo by Meredith Seaver

Junior guard Shambria Washington played for 37 minutes against the Commodores.

The No. 18 Texas A&M women’s basketball team snapped the its seven game win streak in overtime against the Missouri Tigers, losing 70-65 on Thursday night.
A&M dropped to an 18-5 overall record and 7-3 in conference play, while the Tigers continued their 17-7 season record and earned their sixth win in the SEC.
The matchup was filled with several lead changes, as both teams exchanged crucial shots ultimately leading to an overtime showdown that saw Missouri take over.
Missouri opened the game on a 13-4 run, and led 34-32 at halftime. Senior guard Sophie Cunningham led the Tigers with 22 points and 12 rebounds. The Tigers separated themselves in overtime where Cunningham led Missouri with six points on the way to the 70-65 victory.
Sophomore guard Chennedy Carter led the Aggies in scoring with 29 points, shooting 10-of-33 from the field with two critical three-pointers.
Fellow teammate and sophomore guard Kayla Wells also came up big for A&M scoring 18 points, with nine of them coming from beyond the three-point line. Wells made some much needed points for the team, especially down the stretch when the game entered overtime at 61-61.
Despite the loss, the Aggies made program history, while also creating career-high numbers on the court. Carter became the fourth player in A&M history that scored more than 10 points in 30 consecutive games. Sophomore forward N’dea Jones made a career-high five blocks and a team-high 12 rebounds.
A&M will now have a bye week in preparation for their home game with LSU on Thursday Feb. 14 at Reed Arena. Tipoff is set for 6:30 p.m.