A&M women’s basketball wins in final seconds to advance in SEC Tourney

Photo by Meredith Seaver

Junior guard Shambria Washington scored 11 points.

No. 15 Texas A&M survived against Auburn 64-62 to advance from the quarterfinals of the SEC Women’s Basketball Tournament. The Aggies won thanks to a game-winning shot coming from sophomore Kayla Wells with five seconds left.
Wells led the Aggies with 28 points and four assists. A&M was without its leading scorer for the season sophomore Chennedy Carter. Also stepping up just in time for the tournament was the frontcourt for the Aggies. Freshman forward N’dea Jones and sophomore center Ciera Johnson both had 12 points themselves. This was the Jones’ eighth double-double for the season.
In her a career-high 33 minutes, sophomore Jada Walton recorded an A&M record of four steals, the most steals in an SEC Tournament game.
Auburn was powered by junior Janiah Mckay with 17 points and freshman Unique Thompson with 13 points. Freshman Abigayle Jackson led the Tigers with five rebounds along with eight points.
The Aggies would go into half losing 32-28. The game had nine lead changes and 10 ties. In the fourth quarter neither team led by more than three points.
The difference in the game came from the effort from Wells scoring 28 points the most by an Aggie in SEC tournament history. Wells has become hot as of late with scoring 20+ points for the third time in the past five games.
This is 12 of the last 14 seasons in which the Aggies advance to the semifinals. Texas A&M has now advanced to the SEC Semifinals for three straight seasons, only Mississippi State has done so as well.
The Aggies continue action in the SEC Tournament advancing to the Semifinals against Arkansas on March 9th at approximately 6 pm.