A&M women’s lacrosse takes on Texas in Lone Star Showdown

Photo by Samuel Sidarous
Texas A&M’s women’s lacrosse practiced on Feb. 8 at Penberthy Rec Sports Complex in preparation for hosting against Texas starting at 11 a.m. on Feb. 17.

The Texas A&M Women’s Lacrosse Club will host the first home game of the 2024 season against Texas on Feb. 17, beginning at 11 a.m. at the Penberthy Rec Sports Complex.

The 0-3 Aggies are looking to take down the 0-2 Longhorns after their 2023 10-5 loss in Austin. The Maroon and White have a plan and expect to win, junior defender Abigail Standbrook said.

“Our goal is to make it to nationals, which means we have to beat UT,” Standbrook said.

With five forfeits last season, the Aggies are hopeful weather is not a factor this season, sport management sophomore Ellie Magee, who is also social media officer for the team, said.

Both DI teams play in the Texas Women’s Lacrosse League.

“Three of the games were canceled because it was a travel tournament, and it had bad weather there,” Standbrook said, “St. [Edward’s] forfeited and Tulane forfeited as well.”

This season’s freshmen group started the season with conditioning before moving to stick work, freshman attacker Olivia Zander said.

“In my position, we do shooting drills and cutting drills and then offensive motions,” Zander said.

Follow A&M Women’s Lacrosse @tamuwlax on Instagram.

Samuel Sidarous is a journalism sophomore and contributed this article from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.