Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

A&M women’s swim and dive team find success at Longhorn Long Course Invite

Senior Sydney Pickrem took first place in the Women’s 200m Backstroke, 200m Freestyle Relay (with teammates Rasmus, Carlton, and Eldridge), and 100m Breaststroke. Over the weekend Pickrem also swam Longhorn Long Course Invite, tallying a qualifying cut in the U.S. Olympic Team Trials. 

Five current and two former Texas A&M women swimmers earned US Olympic Team Trials qualifying cuts during the University of Texas’ Longhorn Long Course Invite on Thursday and Friday.
Senior Claire Rasmus notched the qualifying cut in the 100 and 200 freestyle. Four sophomores also made the cut, Taylor Pike in the 200 butterfly, and Joy Field in the 1500 freestyle, Haley Yelle in the 200 and 1500 freestyle and Camryn Toney in the 400 individual medley.
Former A&M swimmers tallying Olympic Time Trials cuts were 2018 senior Bethany Galat in the 100 and 200 breaststroke and 2017 graduate Sarah Gibson in the 200 fly and 200 free.
Pike and Field’s qualifying times of 2:11.93 and 16:41.05, respectively, also earned them first place victories.
Beryl Gastaldello, a 2018 A&M graduate, also had a first-place performance in the 100 free with a time of 55.56.
A&M notched a 1-2-3 finish in the 1500 free, with Field leading Yelle and sophomore Audrey McMurry.
Junior Anna Belousova added a first-place victory for the Aggies in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:08.35. Rasmus’s Trials qualifying time of 2:01.08 in the 200-meter freestyle earned her gold in the event.
A&M had a quintet of placers in the 200 breaststroke. Belousova (2nd, 2:27.56) led senior Sydney Pickrem (3rd), Galat (4th), junior Victoria Roubique (6th) and freshman Kylie Powers (7th).
The Aggies (5-1, 1-0 SEC) will take on SEC opponent LSU at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 26 at the Rec Center Natatorium in College Station.