Arkansas maintains confidence through early season losses

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Cole Kelly of Arkansas scrambled for a touchdown late in the second quarter.

In their loss to Texas A&M, Arkansas moves to a 1-4 record with some hard-hitting teams still left to face.
Even with the losses and challenges the Razorbacks seem to be experiencing, both coaches and players are keeping their spirits high and their expectations even higher.
Arkansas head coach Chad Morris entered his press conference with a smile and positive outlook. Despite having just endured a 24-17 loss against A&M in the Southwest Classic held at AT&T stadium.
“I cannot be more proud of the players in that locker room, the coaches in that locker room, and their fight,” Morris said. “These guys have continued to show up every day and continue to hit that tree in the same spot. As I shared with them in that locker room, if you’ll continue to do that, it’s going to fall. It’s going to fall.”
The idea of teamwork and sticking to the game plan coursed through the team. Senior linebacker Dre Greenlaw talked about his close relationship with junior linebacker De’Jon Harris. Greenlaw said working with Harris benefits them individually, as well as the entire team.
“We go to work every day and we push each other to get better every day,” Greenlaw said. “At the end of the day we got a mark to make here at Arkansas and we want to be the best. We’re not going to stop until we’re the best.”
Arkansas had several opportunities to take the lead from A&M, but wasn’t able to get all the pieces moving. The Razorbacks, however, didn’t back down after going scoreless and down 17 points in the second quarter.
Both sophomore quarterback Cole Kelley and junior quarterback Ty Storey each added touchdowns, giving the team that extra push and getting them within one touchdown from the Aggies.
With almost two minutes left in the game, the Razorbacks remained at their own 45-yard line with only a few more changes to score. Arkansas was unable to get down the field after an interception by A&M’s defensive back Donovan Wilson.
“Down by 7, the ball in your hands. And we can control. We pick up first downs. I think it’s the only thing in my mind was we’re fixing to go tie this thing up or give us a chance to win it with a 2-point conversion,” Morris said. “…And so I thought that–I definitely thought that.”
Heading home to face No. 1 Alabama is no small feat for Arkansas. But the team is remaining confident and making it known that whether they win or not, they are always improving.
““Anytime you play Alabama it’s going to be tough. They got great players. We just have to go play,” Greenlaw said. “At the end of the day, the majority of people will have us to lose, which is fine. We don’t expect everybody to think we are going to win, but the people in the locker room are going to play and fight for each other. If we do that then we’ll have a chance.”