Armani Watts: Star in the making

Armani+Watts
Photo by: Jenna Rabel
Armani Watts

It has taken just one season, but Aggie safety Armani Watts is quickly becoming a star in the A&M secondary.

Watts leads the team in total tackles with 69, including 47 solo tackles -— the best on the team so far this season.

Watts posted 20 tackles last Saturday at Ole Miss — just four shy of the A&M record in a game. He also recovered the ball after forcing a fumble and added an interception to his name. Watts’ play in the Ole Miss game was an impressive showing and a potential attention grabber for NFL scouts. To Watts, he said it was just another day on the field.

“It really just felt routine. I didn’t know how many tackles I had until the end of the game,” Watts said. “I just made the plays I needed to make … I was a little sore the next day. Did not really want to get out of bed … But I just was where I needed to be.”

Watts’ first game was at South Carolina last season, the same opponent A&M will take on at Kyle Field this Saturday. Watts said he has since gotten better on the field because of what he did to improve himself in the weight room.

After relieving former defensive coordinator Mark Snyder last year, A&M brought well-known defensive coordinator John Chavis from LSU to turn a struggling Aggie defense around. Watts said it is not only the new defensive scheme that has been a good fit for him, but Chavis’ presence as well.

“I think it’s a good fit with being able to check plays and coverages freely when I see something I do not really like…[Coach Chavis] has really brought excitement,” Watts said. “You can tell he really loves us and cares for us. He’s not just a coach, he’s someone that cares for you and wants you to have fun out there.”

Watts, along with Justin Evans and Donovan Wilson, have made the safeties’ presence known with some highlight-reel hits this year. Watts said it all comes from how they practice together.

“It’s a real good trio,” Watts said. “We always make it a big competition in practice to see who gets the most tackles or turnovers … We like to have fun out there.”

Watts’ impressive play has caught the attention of teammate and senior cornerback Brandon Williams too. Williams said that Watts’ actions on the field are not surprising to those familiar with how he approaches the game. 

“I’m amazed every week by him,” Williams said. “He brings that type of play every week. It showed with the 20 tackles … he goes all out every week … the mindset he has when he gets on the field is something I pick up from him.”