Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Sophomore DB Jacoby Mattews (2) and sophomore DB Sam McCall (16) attempt to stop LSU WR Malik Nabers during Texas A&Ms game against LSU on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023 at Tiger Stadium (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded pass catcher
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 22, 2024

As NFL defenses have found ways to stifle scoring opportunities and keep the lid on big plays, a bigger burden falls on the pass catchers for...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Around the Country – Week 6

Photo by Ishika Samant

Junior RB Amari Daniels (4) gets tackled during the Southwest Classic against Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)

No. 12 Oklahoma @ No. 3 Texas
Saturday, Oct. 7 — Cotton Bowl Stadium — Dallas
11:00 a.m. on ABC
It’s that time of the year. The Red River Showdown is back and better, boasting two undefeated rivals.
No. 3 Texas is having its strongest start to the year in the Steve Sarkisian era, including a big-time win over then-ranked No. 3 Alabama. Though they lost major production from running back Bijan Robinson, the Longhorns seemed to have found a worthy replacement in sophomore Jonathon Brooks, who is averaging 6.9 yards per carry.
Speaking of worthy, junior wide receiver Xavier Worthy has been sophomore Quinn Ewers’ number-one target. The pair have found success in the passing game, with Ewers only throwing one interception through five games. Worthy leads the team in receptions and receiving yards, adding onto his impressive resume at his time at Texas.
On the other side, the No. 12 Sooners have been heavily reliant on the air raid. They rank as the fifth-best passing team in the country, led by senior quarterback Dillon Gabriel. He’s been one of the most efficient passers in the country, completing 75% of his passes and averaging 10.1 yards per pass. Junior wide receiver Andrel Anthony has helped make life easier for Gabriel, leading the team in receiving yards with 387.
The tale of the tape will be the defenses. Both defenses are top two in the Big 12, with the Longhorns claiming the top spot. Texas has been one of the best in shutting down opposing offenses’ yards per game while Oklahoma ranks as the fifth-best defense in points allowed.
Prediction: Texas 31, Oklahoma 24
No. 11 Notre Dame @ No. 25 Louisville
Saturday, Oct. 7 — L&N Stadium — Louisville, Kentucky
6:30 p.m. on ABC
After their last two games went down to the wire, things are looking up for Notre Dame after a close win over Duke last week. The Fighting Irish sit at 5-1 and have a solid chance at a New Year’s Six bowl if not a spot in the College Football Playoff — if they win out.
What Notre Dame does not have is a margin for error. With games against No. 9 USC and Clemson looming, they cannot afford a loss against an upstart Louisville squad.
Luckily for the Irish, they’ve got one of the best field generals in the country in graduate quarterback Sam Hartman. The transfer from Wake Forest has thrown for just shy of 1500 yards this year with zero interceptions — something he’ll need to maintain against a Cardinal defense tied for second in the ACC in total interceptions.
On the other hand, Cardinal senior quarterback Jack Plummer has led his Louisville squad to a 5-0 record so far, but he’s thrown 11 picks along the way. And that’s against a much weaker schedule than Notre Dame has faced. Louisville’s most impressive win so far was a 13-10 win over a 3-2 NC State team. With a back-loaded schedule (just over half of the Cardinals remaining opponents are currently ranked), that’s a major liability for the remainder of the year.
The Fighting Irish defense has proven they can keep Notre Dame in close games, holding Duke to 14 points and Ohio State to 17. Against an unproven Louisville offense susceptible to turnovers, the gold-domed defense gets it done again and gives the Irish a fighting chance at a playoff spot for at least one more week.
Prediction: Notre Dame 31, Louisville 10
No. 23 LSU @ No. 21 Missouri
Saturday, Oct. 7 — Faurot Field at Memorial Stadium — Columbia, Missouri
11 a.m. on ESPN
After a heart-breaking loss to Ole Miss in the fourth quarter, LSU is at a crossroads with how the rest of its season will play out. LSU’s defense allowed 55 points to the Rebels last week in the statistically worst Tigers’ defensive showing since their loss to Alabama in 2020.
While LSU gave up over 700 yards of offense to Ole Miss, the Tigers offense looked like their usual selves with senior quarterback Jayden Daniels throwing four touchdown passes for 414 yards with one rushing touchdown. If the Tigers in Baton Rouge want to keep vying for a New Year’s Six Bowl, Brian Kelly needs to make some key changes defensively.
On the other side of the SEC, Missouri started its season 5-0 and 1-0 in conference play after a statement win in Nashville last weekend against Vanderbilt, 38-21. The Missouri offense is averaging over 450 yards a game, with junior quarterback Brady Cook making a huge impact on their productivity. Cook has a 74.5 % completion rate while averaging 10.4 yards per completed throw.
Sophomore wide receiver Luther Burden is looking to continue his dominance against a weakened LSU secondary, as he comes into the matchup with over 100 yards per game against Missouri’s last four opponents and has five touchdowns on the season.
If LSU can not hold their secondary accountable against a very capable Missouri offense, it is going to be another stressful night for Brian Kelly.
Prediction: LSU 42, Missouri 38