Around the SEC

Most eyes in the college football world will be on Tuscaloosa, Alabama this Saturday night.
With all of the uncertainty in the SEC this season, a major part of the puzzle is going to be solved this week. No. 4 Alabama and No. 2 LSU square off for SEC West supremacy and their shot at the College Football Playoff. Ole Miss is also in action, as they control their own destiny this week against Arkansas.
Here’s a look at the two big games to keep an eye on in the SEC this week.
No. 2 LSU (7-0, 4-0 SEC) at No. 4 Alabama (7-1, 4-1 SEC)
7 p.m. at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Broadcast on CBS
This is your game of the week in college football. One of the nation’s most intense rivalries writes another chapter. Both come into the game after a bye week to prepare for each other in the heavyweight clash of the season.
It is Nick Saban vs. Les Miles for a chance to take a step closer to an SEC title and a national championship as well. It is also Derrick Henry vs. Leonard Fournette, who will both be taking on two of the nation’s premiere rush defenses. LSU is sixth nationally against the run, while Alabama is third. This means both teams will likely have to put the ball in the air a bit more, and since both still have trust issues at quarterback, there will not be a lot of points scored in this one.
It’s going to come down to which running back can carry the team on their back. If you are a betting person, put your money on Fournette. Sure, he has not faced a front seven like Alabama’s this season, but with Fournette, it doesn’t seem to matter who he is facing. If anyone in college football has the best chance of shutting him down, it is Alabama, but do not expect him to ever be entirely shut down.
Derrick Henry can carry the team, do not underestimate him in this game, but LSU wins it by less than a touchdown.
Arkansas (4-4, 2-2 SEC) at No. 18 Ole Miss (7-2, 4-1 SEC)
2:30 p.m. Vaught-Hemmingway Stadium in Oxford, Mississippi
Broadcast on CBS
The Rebels control their fate in the SEC West with a home date against LSU Nov. 21. This week they host Arkansas, who recently found its groove after starting the season a little sluggish.
As usual, the Razorbacks will play “Bielema ball” and run the football on just about every single down. Ole Miss has a stout, quick defense that will give Arkansas some headaches. On the other side, Ole Miss’ offense will have to face a sometimes struggling, but otherwise solid Arkansas defense. The Razorbacks will have to focus on star Rebel receiver Laquon Treadwell all game, but they cannot forget the backfield tandem of the shifty quarterback Chad Kelly and the speedster running back Jaylen Walton.
Andre Perrard is a sports management senior and assistant sports editor for The Battalion.