No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Around the SEC

Texas A&M’s loss to Ole Miss made the SEC West picture a little more clear, but it’s still a wide open race. Georgia, even after back-to-back losses, still has a chance at Atlanta, and its match-up with Florida this week is the highlight of the college football slate.

Here’s what to look for around the SEC this week, from the Florida vs. Georgia game to an under-the-radar matchup. 

No. 11 Florida vs Georgia

Called the “World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party”, this rivalry writes another chapter into its storied history this week. This game has some major relevancy as far as the SEC East race is concerned. Georgia would be back in the race with a win, and a Florida victory would make them almost a lock for a trip to the title game in Atlanta. 

The Bulldogs no longer have Nick Chubb, but they still have trusted backs Sony Michel (89 rush, 508 yds, 4 TDs) and Keith Marshall (33 rush, 179 yds, 3 TDs), who will carry the load for the Bulldog offense. Florida has one of the nation’s best rush defenses, so Greyson Lambert will have to pass the ball more for Georgia. However, with a still somewhat questionable Florida offense and a possible injury to Antonio Callaway, this game will be a defensive battle.

It will come down to who has the ball last in Jacksonville. Florida ran Georgia out of the building last year, but this year will be different. Florida will win this one. It will be a very close game, but the Gator defense will make the final stop to give Jim McElwain his biggest win in his first year at Florida.

Auburn vs No. 19 Ole Miss

This is a bit of a trap game for Ole Miss. Coming off a big win at home over A&M, the Rebels go on the road to take on Auburn. The Tigers have been one of the nation’s biggest disappointments this season, but they have plenty of talent and are itching for a big SEC win this year. 

Will Muschamp’s Auburn defense has underachieved this year, but they still have loads of talent. They will have their hands full with one of the conference’s best offenses led by star receiver Laquon Treadwell (54 rec, 756 yds, 5 TDs) and explosive running back Jaylen Walton (80 rush, 428 yds, 3 TDs). If Auburn’s defense can take care of business and halfway contain the Ole Miss offense, look out for an upset down in Alabama.

This game might be a bit closer than experts predict, and Auburn might just steal one at home against the Rebels. Go with the upset in an early morning matchup. It will be close, but I’m going with Auburn in a shocker.