Around the SEC: Week 10

SEC Logo
SEC Logo

As the season enters November, teams are now looking at their chance to make the coveted playoff, and bowl implications are coming into play. The SEC is heating up as well. This weekend will feature a top three match-up, along with a game to decide the winner of the eastern division, and the stakes ride high throughout the conference. Here’s a look at SEC action in week 10:
No. 1 Alabama (8-0, 5-0 SEC) at No. 3 LSU (7-1, 4-1 SEC)
Saturday, Nov. 3 — Tiger Stadium — Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 p.m. on CBS
This 83rd meeting between the Tigers and the Tide pits two top three teams against each other in primetime this Saturday night. Alabama comes into Death Valley ranked the best in college football and is led by quarterback Tua Tagovailoa who leads the Heisman race. Tagovailoa has thrown for 2,066 yards and 25 touchdowns and no interceptions. Through his performance, the Tide are averaging an SEC best, 564 yards a game, while only allowing 308 yards a game defensively. Alabama has also maintained a seven game win streak over LSU, but this may be the closest match we’ve seen since the Tigers won in 2011. While national focus has been on the Tide and their phenomenal season, LSU has been making huge splashes in the rankings. The Tigers have beaten the likes of Miami, Auburn, Georgia and Mississippi State and they have what is arguably the best resume in college football. LSU will attempt to use this experience to their advantage over an Alabama team whose biggest win is over Texas A&M. LSU’s impressive season can be attributed to more consistent quarterback play from junior Joe Burrow, who has racked up 1,544 yards this season along with the crushing defense the Tigers have displayed in 2018. Defensively, LSU only allows 330 yards a game, and their secondary only allows 199 yards in the air. This will pose a challenge that Tagovailoa hasn’t faced all season. LSU will give Alabama a fight throughout this game, but ultimately the Tide will roll over the Tigers under the arm of a Heisman-favorite quarterback and a more complete team overall.
Prediction: Alabama 35, LSU 21
No. 6 Georgia (7-1, 5-1 SEC) at No. 11 Kentucky (7-1, 5-1 SEC)
Saturday, Sept. 22 — Faurot Field at Memorial Stadium — Columbia, Missouri
11 a.m. on ESPN
In what may be the biggest game ever played at Kroger Field, Kentucky will host Georgia for a showdown to determine the winner of the SEC’s Eastern division. The two teams have yet to lose to divisional foes, and this game is shaping up to be a historic one. Kentucky is led by junior running back Benny Snell Jr., who has gained an impressive 960 yards on the ground so far in 2018. He leads an offense that averages 214 rushing yards per game and is one of the harder teams to stop on the ground. Snell is helped by one of the strongest offensive lines in the conference. The Wildcats have beaten teams such as Florida and Mississippi State behind this strategy. However, Kentucky has recently struggled as of late offensively, as they have put up no more than 15 points in their last three contests. Defensively, Kentucky ranks second in the SEC and tenth in the nation and should matchup well with Georgia. Meanwhile the Bulldogs looked invincible until their shocking loss to LSU a couple weeks ago, they have since righted the ship with a 36-17 win over Florida last week. The Bulldogs are led by sophomore quarterback Jake Fromm, who has thrown for 16 touchdowns and only four interceptions. The Georgia offense accounts for 457 yards a game. Defensively, the Bulldogs are right behind Kentucky and only allow 306 yards to opposing offenses a game. If Kentucky cannot get a passing attack going, then it could be a long game for the Wildcats. Look for Kentucky to play staunch defense and not give Georgia much to work with early on. Kentucky will get a couple of big gains on the ground, but ultimately the Bulldogs will end up running away with this one through a more balanced attack.
Prediction: Georgia 31, Kentucky 14
No. 13 Florida (6-2, 4-2 SEC) vs. Missouri (4-4, 0-4 SEC)
Saturday, Nov. 3 — Ben Hill Griffin Stadium — Gainesville, Florida
3 p.m. on SECN
This Eastern conference clash of strategies through Missouri’s high-octane offense and Florida’s stout defense. Florida comes in on the heels of a punishing loss to Georgia and looks to win out after that harsh test. The Gators are led by sophomore quarterback Feleipe Franks, who has played more consistently in 2018, though struggled last week, only passing for 105 yards. Defensively, Florida is ranked 27th nationally. The Gators only allow 336 yards a game, and could pose problems to Missouri’s offensive game plan. On the other hand, Missouri’s high-powered offense has rarely been stopped, and they average 469 yards a game. Senior quarterback Drew Lock is leading his team with 2,144 yards in the air this season, and has 16 touchdowns to six interceptions. Defensively, the Tigers struggle, allowing an average of 414 yards to opponents. Expect to see a struggle early on with Missouri getting some important touchdowns. However, Florida’s defense will recover and the Gators will win this one.
Prediction: Florida 28, Missouri 21
Ole Miss (5-3, 1-3 SEC) vs. South Carolina (4-3, 3-3 SEC)
Saturday, Nov. 3 — Vaught-Hemingway Stadium — Oxford, Mississippi
11 a.m. on SECN
This interdivisional matchup features a couple of teams that are trying to turn their season around with a big win. Ole Miss comes in with an offense that has played well and is undefeated, when senior quarterback Jordan Ta’amu throws for 330 or more yards. Ta’amu has thrown for 2,622 yards this season and has 16 touchdowns to five interceptions. Despite their offensive domination, the Rebels have struggled through their defense which allows 497 yards a game to opponents. If Ole Miss can improve this defense, then they are a tough team for even the best to beat. Meanwhile, South Carolina is a team with many questions. When rushing for 200 yards or more, the Gamecocks simply do not lose. However, they will have to play a great game to compete with the Rebel’s offense. Watch for Ole Miss to gain big yardage through the air on their way to a big win.
Prediction: Ole Miss 38, South Carolina 28