Around the SEC — Week 12

SEC Logo
SEC Logo

No. 16 Mississippi State vs Arkansas
Neither of these squads are really in contention for much besides a bowl game, but the Razorbacks have something to prove as they sit at rock bottom of the SEC West. The Hogs aren’t a shoo-in for a bowl, and if they can’t crawl back above .500 they’ll be without one for the first time since the 2013 season. The Bulldogs, on the other hand, put up a great fight against Alabama in Starkville last weekend. In what really should’ve been a huge upset, Miss. State coughed up the lead with some poor game management. Nevertheless, they played well and showed a few flashes that’d make them worthy of a playoff berth. Unfortunately, with three losses that just isn’t going to happen. Miss. State isn’t particularly great in any area, but quarterback Nick Fitzgerald is the definition of dual-threat by having just about as many, and sometimes more, rushing attempts than he does completed passes. If the Arkansas linebacker corps can contain Fitzgerald and force him to make mistakes, the Hogs will have a chance to pull off a shocker. However, I expect the Bulldogs to get up early as Razorback signal callers Austin Allen and Cole Kelley are still struggling behind a depleted offensive line. If the Bulldogs pound away at the defense, it’ll be another long match for Arkansas. 
Prediction: Mississippi State 33, Arkansas 20
Kentucky vs No. 7 Georgia 
Kentucky is the only SEC school where you have to specify “football” in your Google search, otherwise you wind up looking over basketball stats. They’re just not considered a football school — or are they? The Wildcats had a winning record last season for the first time since 2009, but they haven’t had a bowl game victory since 2008 or double-digit wins since 1977. My point is Kentucky is feeling really good about themselves at 7-3 and they’ve been playing just fine. Are they great? No, but they’re proving they can do more than shoot hoops and be a contender in the coming years. This week they face off against the Georgia Bulldogs who are coming off their first loss of the season to Auburn, 40-17. Auburn is a very good team and credit should be given where credit is due. The Dawgs have an explosive offense and are expected to have a field day on Kentucky’s defense that has given up over 400 yards per game. They’re averaging nearly 34 points per competition and Kentucky’s defense won’t slow them down. In contrast, Georgia wins by just outscoring their opponents and not providing much resistance on the defensive side of the ball. I expect to see a high-scoring game that’s perhaps a bit closer than you might think.
Prediction: Georgia 41, Kentucky 23