Around the SEC: Week 13

Photo by CJ Smith/The Battalion

A young fan holds up an “SEC” sign before the start of Texas A&M’s football game against Auburn at Kyle Field on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023.

No. 8 Alabama @ Auburn
Saturday, Nov. 25 — 2:30 p.m. on CBS
Jordan-Hare Stadium — Auburn, Alabama
This Iron Bowl would have been a lot more enticing had Auburn not just been thrashed by the New Mexico State Aggies, a team the Tigers paid $1.8 million to play.
Alabama currently sits at No. 8 in the CFB Playoff rankings and has a legitimate shot at returning to the playoffs if the cards fall its way.
Sophomore quarterback Jalen Milroe has stepped up after a rough start to the season and looks set to be the next Crimson Tide breadwinner at the QB position.
Even Auburn coach Hugh Freeze doesn’t feel like his team is ready to play this weekend.
“Most everyone I’ve seen is in a fog from what happened Saturday,” Freeze said. “We need to snap out of that fast.”
Yikes. Makes it four-in-a-row for Alabama, as even though this game is on the Plains, Auburn is out-everything-ed in this matchup.
Prediction: Alabama 41, Auburn 13
No. 1 Georgia @ Georgia Tech
Saturday, Nov. 25 — 6:30 p.m. on ABC
Bobby Dodd Stadium — Atlanta, Georgia
Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate. Recently, the only thing Georgia Tech must hate is how badly Georgia beats them every year.
For half a decade, the Yellow Jackets have not stood a chance against the Bulldogs, with their closest loss coming last season. That’s if 23 points can ever be considered close.
Georgia Tech coach Brent Key has done wonders in Atlanta, sending the Yellow Jackets bowling for the first time since 2018. Led by junior QB Haynes Kings, Georgia Tech has managed to secure six wins in the ACC.
That magic will fast quickly against the Bulldogs. Georgia is unlike any opponent Georgia Tech has faced this season, and while it may be on the road, plenty of red and black will fill Bobby Dodd Stadium and that winning streak will grow to six.
Prediction: Georgia 45, Georgia Tech 20
No. 12 Ole Miss @ Mississippi State
Saturday, Nov. 25 — 6:30 p.m. on ESPN
Davis Wade Stadium — Starkville, Mississippi
With leg-hiking hijinx, missed extra points and controversial calls, the Egg Bowl has recently been one of the most exciting rivalries in the SEC.
Unfortunately, that won’t be the case this season.
While coach Mike Leach and his air-raid offense were able to pull off miraculous upsets seemingly at will, the Bulldogs’ offense has been mundane at best this season. Senior QB Will Rodgers’ numbers have taken a major step down this season, and coach Zach Arnett has already been fired after just one season.
This game says more about Mississippi State’s ineptitude than it does about Ole Miss’ team as a whole. The Rebels are a better team with a better QB in junior Jaxson Dart and will dissect a poor Bulldogs team.
Prediction: Ole Miss 55, Mississippi State 23
Kentucky @ No. 9 Louisville
Saturday, Nov. 25 — 11 a.m. on ABC
L&N Federal Credit Union Stadium — Louisville, Kentucky
In the battle for the Governor’s Cup, the Wildcats have dominated the last four matchups. Despite this Louisville has slowly gotten closer and closer to upending Kentucky, and this is the year they finally do it.
Kentucky, after picking up senior QB Devin Leary in the offseason, seemed poised to possibly contend for the SEC East but has severely underperformed.
The Cardinals on the other hand have overperformed, as they were picked to finish eighth in the ACC Preseason Poll and are now a lock for the ACC title game.
Kentucky on the road against a top-10 team is a hard sell, and coming off of a loss to another SEC East bottom dweller in South Carolina, it wouldn’t be smart to bet on blue.
Prediction: Louisville 38, Kentucky 21
No. 5 Florida State @ Florida

Saturday, Nov. 25 — 6 p.m. on ESPN

Ben Hill Griffin Stadium — Gainesville, Florida
A week ago, this game would have been one that had a chance of being close early, with the Seminoles pulling away in the second half. Now, the game has changed.
In a cupcake game against Northern Alabama, senior QB and Heisman contender Jordan Travis was attempting to get down on a scramble when he was hit by a Lions’ defender, turning his leg 90 degrees and ending Travis’ college career for good.
While devastating news for Seminoles’ fans, as Florida State was then No. 4 in the CFB Playoff rankings, what’s even worse is that they will have to play their rivals, the Florida Gators, on the road with a backup QB in junior Tate Rodemaker.
It’s a tough break for the Seminoles, and there’s just too much stacked against them to succeed. A night game on the road against your in-state rival with a backup who has had one week to prepare is rough. Florida hasn’t been great this season, but they take advantage of Florida State’s weaknesses.
Prediction: Florida 31, Florida State 27
Clemson @ South Carolina
Saturday, Nov. 25 — 6:30 p.m. on SEC Network
Williams-Brice Stadium — Columbia, South Carolina
The 2022 Palmetto Bowl was a shocker to many, as the Gamecocks went on the road and upset No. 8 Clemson.
The stakes are a lot lower for the Tigers this season as they’ve sputtered to a 7-4 record, but have won their last three in a row, including ranked wins against Notre Dame and UNC.
The Gamecocks were picked to finish third in the SEC East, but have lived up to none of the expectations and need to win this game to reach a bowl game.
While on paper this one seems cut and dry in Clemson’s favor, rivalry games can get weird. Will the Tigers want to finish with an 8-4 record and a rivalry win to save face, or will the Gamecocks come in with the desire to at least play one more game this season?
This game will be closer than many may think, but South Carolina will ride the sandstorm to its second-straight victory over Clemson.
Prediction: South Carolina 30, Clemson 27