Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Around the SEC: Week 3

SEC Logo
SEC Logo

The second week of the 2018 season brought the SEC some intense and historic games that surprised and motivated fan bases across the conference. In the east, Georgia reaffirmed their status as top dog after their crushing win over South Carolina, and Kentucky snapped their 31-season losing streak to Florida at the Swamp. Meanwhile, Texas A&M established themselves as a force to be reckoned with after their near-upset against Clemson. Here are some key match ups going into week three:
No. 7 Auburn (2-0) vs. No. 12 LSU (2-0)
Sept. 15, Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, AL 2:30 p.m. on CBS
The LSU Tigers head to the plains to take on the Tigers of Auburn in what is sure to be a marquee game this season. Saturday’s showdown will be the first matchup in the SEC west and could have late season implications as both teams are serious contenders for the divisional crown. Auburn enters this game with a chip on its shoulder after losing to LSU in 2017 and hopes to grab another statement win on their journey to the playoffs. Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham is coming off a solid performance against Alabama State, where he threw for over 100 yards in one quarter before exiting the game. The Auburn offense will have to execute well in order to face the vaunted LSU defense, who posted a shutout on Southeastern Louisiana in week two. The LSU defense has only allowed 17 points so far this season, but it will be up to transfer quarterback Joe Burrow to lead his team as LSU still searches for a strong offensive presence. Look for Auburn’s experience, talented play-makers and home field advantage to give them the edge over LSU.
Prediction: Auburn 24, LSU 17
No. 1 Alabama (2-0) at Ole Miss (2-0)
Sept. 15, Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, Oxford, MS 6:00 p.m. on ESPN
In this second SEC west game of the day, the Alabama Crimson Tide head to Oxford for their faceoff with the Ole Miss Rebels. Alabama comes into Vaught-Hemingway ranked number one in the nation, an achievement for the record books as this is their 106th week at number one, the most weeks spent at the top by a single team. The Tide hope to stifle the talented Rebel offense with their punishing defense, who has only allowed 659 total yards and 21 points all season. Mississippi quarterback Jordan Ta’amu comes off a big performance after the win against Southern Illinois, going 23-33 for 448 yards and five touchdowns. Running back Scottie Phillips also rushed for 107 yards on 15 carries last week. It will be Alabama’s burden to contain this electric offense, but the Rebel defense will have to improve their play after giving up 41 points to Southern Illinois. The Tide are averaging 54 points a game under sophomore quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, making them a force to be reckoned with. Ultimately, Alabama will overwhelm Ole Miss on both sides of the ball as they pick up their first conference win.
Prediction: Alabama 51, Ole Miss 21
No. 8 Notre Dame (2-0) vs. Vanderbilt (2-0)
Sept. 15, Notre Dame Stadium, South Bend, IN 1:30 p.m. on NBC
Vanderbilt hits the road to face Notre Dame in an important early season game for both teams. The Fighting Irish hope to put week two’s scare behind them. They defeated Ball State by an all-too-close eight-point margin. Meanwhile, the Commodores will try to pull off an upset that could truly boost the program’s expectations for 2018. Vanderbilt quarterback Kyle Shurmur is on the heels of a strong showing after he threw for 258 yards and two touchdowns. His play will be crucial to the Commodores’ success this weekend and the offense will try to match Notre Dame’s defense, but may struggle since the Irish are only allowing 16.5 points a game so far. Notre Dame quarterback Brandon Wimbush was only 17 for 31 last week, throwing three interceptions and no touchdowns. While his running backs performed well, Wimbush has to improve his play this week in order to avoid the upset. Expect Notre Dame to bounce back strong this Saturday, as they slow the Vanderbilt offense to a crawl and remain undefeated.
Prediction: Notre Dame 35, Vanderbilt 13
Missouri (2-0) at Purdue (0-2)
Sept. 15, Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN 6:30 p.m. on BTN, BTN+
As one of the silent contenders for the east, Missouri hopes to keep their loss column blank after Saturday when they take on Purdue. The Tigers have looked impressive so far, as they average 45.5 points a game and are only allowing 13.5 points defensively. Senior quarterback Drew Lock is looking particularly promising, especially after an almost 400-yard, four-touchdown game against Wyoming in week two. Meanwhile, Purdue has struggled this season, losing two nail-biters to Northwestern and Eastern Michigan. The Boilermaker offense has been struggling, especially at the quarterback position, where Elijah Sindelar and David Blough have split reps in both games. They have a combined two touchdowns for the year and will have to improve drastically if they hope to compete in this one. When all is said and done, the Tigers offense will pick apart Purdue and the Missouri defense will contain the Boilermakers for minimal production.
Prediction: Missouri 38, Purdue 19