Around the SEC: Week 5

SEC Logo
SEC Logo

The first quarter of the season is wrapped up, and teams are starting to settle in to their game plans. Fans are getting a legitimate look at what their teams can do heading into the gauntlet that is conference play. Last week, we saw the top teams continue their dominance as the Tide rolled against the Aggies in dominant fashion and Georgia conquered another test with Missouri. Meanwhile, Kentucky shocked the nation with a total blowout against heavily favored Mississippi State and Florida made a statement in Knoxville in “The Third Saturday in September” showdown with Tennessee. Here’s a look at the action going down in week five:

No. 17 Kentucky (4-0) vs. South Carolina (2-1)

Sat. Sept. 29, Kroger Field, Lexington, KY 6:30 p.m. on SECN

Kentucky is off to their best start in decades and are ranked for the first time since 2007. With an impressive win at Florida in week two, and a win in last week’s 28-7 blowout over Mississippi State, the Wildcats are arguably the biggest surprise so far this year in the SEC. Led by junior running back Benny Snell Jr., Kentucky is first in rushing offense, as they average 269 yards a game on the ground. Defensively, the Wildcats are just as dominant, ranking second in the conference. It will be interesting to see how South Carolina will respond to the balanced attack Kentucky presents. The Gamecocks have a lot to prove following a demoralizing loss to Georgia in their first true test of the season. South Carolina has looked strong in their other performances, gaining up to 475 yards a game on offense and only allowing 331 yards defensively. The Gamecock’s junior quarterback Jake Bentley has also been solid for the team with 780 yards through three games, and his performance on Saturday could determine the overall outcome of the game. Look for Kentucky to continue their hot streak after a hard-fought slugfest, as Snell leads his team to another key win in the Wildcat’s 2018 campaign. 

Prediction: Kentucky 28, South Carolina 24

No. 23 Mississippi State (3-1) vs. Florida (3-1)

Sat. Sept. 29, Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field, Starkville, MS 5 p.m. on ESPN

Both teams are looking to establish themselves in the SEC. Mississippi State comes off a shocking loss to Kentucky, and Florida is on the heels of a 47-21 win over rival Tennessee. Mississippi State showed problems with their offensive line as senior quarterback Nick Fitzgerald was constantly under pressure, and suffered three sacks in the Kentucky game. The Bulldogs have looked impressive outside of last week’s loss, and are ranked eighth and 25th nationally in defense and offense, respectively. Comparatively, Florida ranks 42nd in the nation on defense and 91st on offense. The Gator’s sophomore quarterback Feleipe Franks has been improving through the season so far and has 12 touchdowns with two interceptions. These teams matchup well, but Mississippi State has just a slight edge with a home-field advantage, and what should be a very angered and hungry attitude going into Saturday. Look for the Bulldogs to return to their winning ways in a strong fashion in Starkville, as the cowbells ring out in celebration.

Prediction: Mississippi State 35, Florida 21

No. 5 LSU (4-0) vs. Ole Miss (3-1)

Sat. Sept. 29, Tiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, LA 8:15 p.m. on ESPN

While Kentucky is the surprise of the East, LSU is the dark horse in the powerful Western Division. The Tigers are 4-0 with wins over Miami and Auburn and have looked great through four games, rising from unranked to fifth in the nation. It should be noted however that despite their success, LSU has its share of problems this season. The offensive line has been marred with injuries and started a different line up in all their games. This doesn’t bode well for a team looking to make a potential playoff run. The Tigers have also struggled to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks, only getting to the passer twice in last week’s win over Louisiana Tech. Ole Miss will look to exploit any weakness they can on Saturday night if they hope to come out of Death Valley with a win. Senior quarterback Jordan Ta’amu has had an impressive season thus far for the Rebels, throwing for 1,359 yards with a passer rating of 176.9 through four games. On the other side of the ball, Ole Miss shows their true weakness is their own defense which ranks dead last in the conference and 120th nationally. Mississippi will turn heads as they hold tight with the Tigers, but ultimately LSU’s home crowd and superior talent will allow them to continue to 5-0 on their quest to the SEC crown.

Prediction: LSU 31, Ole Miss 28

No. 2 Georgia (4-0) vs. Tennessee (2-2)

Sat. Sept. 29, Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA 2:30 p.m. on CBS

As conference play heats up, Georgia has affirmed themselves as top dogs in the East. As national title contenders, they rank sixth offensively and third defensively in the conference. Led by sophomore quarterback Jake Fromm, the offense has been potent, but it’s their rushing attack and a group of talented backs that have been the key to success. On the ground, the Bulldogs average 250 yards a game and should perform well against Tennessee, who allowed 200 rushing yards to Florida in Knoxville. The Volunteers have had their troubles in 2018. As a team that looks to be at the bottom of the division, they will have simply too much to overcome in their matchup against the Bulldogs. Prepare for this one to be over quickly, as Georgia will thoroughly dominate the Volunteers in all aspects of the game and continue their championship-caliber run. 

Prediction: Georgia 42, Tennessee 10