Around the SEC — Week 7

SEC Logo
SEC Logo

NO. 10 AUBURN AT LSU
Auburn is for real, like for real for real. Halfway through the regular season they’re outscoring their opponents 215 – 78, and that’s including giving up just 14 points to defending National Champions Clemson. They’re coming off a 44 – 23 win over Ole Miss in which they conceded the most points to any opponent this season. Their average allowance of 13.6 points per game puts them No. 6 overall in the entire nation. On the offensive side, Auburn’s Kerryon Johnson continues to dominate the run game. He added 204 yards and three scores on 28 attempts last weekend, solidifying himself as the 28th rusher in the nation. LSU’s defense will keep them in the game, but it’s only a matter of time before the War Eagle offense hits a few big plays and takes it home.
Prediction: Auburn 27, LSU 16
ARKANSAS AT NO. 1 ALABAMA
In all honesty, I really want to like Arkansas. If this was in Fayetteville and the Razorbacks still had a solid run game, I’d think things to be much closer. Unfortunately, that isn’t the circumstance we find the Hogs in. The Tide has taken the last 10 games straight and is ranked No. 1 in the nation for a reason. There’s not much to say in that respect except Alabama’s pass rush hasn’t been what we’re used to expecting. On the other hand, Arkansas’ offensive line has seen better days, and so has their quarterback Austin Allen. He’s coming into this one with a banged up shoulder. If he gets the start, he’ll look to repeat last year’s performance of over 400 yards and three touchdowns in the 49 – 30 loss. If anything, Texas A&M proved that the Tide can be scored on. I’m personally hoping for another shootout whether it be through the air for Arkansas or on the ground for Alabama.
Prediction: Alabama 38, Arkansas 19
NO. 4 GEORGIA AT MISSOURI
Also not a lot to say here. If you’re not yet ready to accept that Georgia is for real, they’re facing a rough Mizzou squad that won’t help you prove your point. Does Missouri even have a chance? Well, sure. Mizzou quarterback Drew Lock proved he knows how to move the ball down the field time and time again. He threw for 355 yards and three touchdowns last week against Kentucky. Georgia’s secondary isn’t going to let much happen, but if the Tigers keep their troublesome turnovers to a minimum, they’ll stay competitive. I don’t see much hope for Missouri slowing down the dominant Georgia offense, so the Tigers will need to prove they can win a turnover margin in order to give themselves a chance. I expect the Bulldogs to crank out the ground game and watch Mizzou play catchup for three hours.

Prediction: Georgia 41, Missouri 13