Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

A&M women’s golf team finished top 10 in UCF Challenge

Photo by Robert O’Brien

Sophomore Adela Cernousek plays her tee shot on the 12th hole of the Traditions Club on the second day of the “Mo”morial Invitational on Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2022 in Bryan, Texas.

On Sunday, Feb. 5, the Texas A&M women’s golf team teed off in Orlando, Fla. in the UCF Challenge hosted by the University of Central Florida.
The Aggies had high expectations for this tournament after a recent tournament victory, but after a problematic 2-over-par, in the first round, they had a tough hill to climb in order to win the UCF Challenge.
“[They] really need to change the mindset heading into the final round,” A&M Coach Gerrod Chadwell said before the third round, according to 12thman.com. “We have to attack early and not get in a defensive mode. We can’t be worried tomorrow about not losing any more ground, but we have to be aggressive. We know we can have a great round tomorrow, so we are excited to go out and put it together.”
This attitude shift helped graduate Hailee Cooper as she shot 1-under-par, a 71, in the second round. This was Aggie’s best performance in the third round, as the rest of the team shot over-par, other than senior Jennie Park who shot an even 72 on both rounds.
The weak second round and troubling first held A&M back and firmly tied them in ninth place with University of North Carolina Wilmington.
Texas A&M INDIVIDUAL SCORES R1 R2 Overall
T22 Hailee Cooper 70 (-2) 71 (-1) 141 (-3)
T25 Zoe Slaughter 68 (-4) 74 (+2) 142 (-2)
T40 Jennie Park 72 (E) 72 (E) 144 (E)
T53 Adela Cernousek 71 (-1) 74 (+2) 145 (+1)
T53 Blanca Fernández García-Poggio 72 (E) 73 (+1) 145 (+1)
TEAM SCORES (TOP 10)
1 Northwestern 542 (-34)
2 Wake Forest 545 (-31)
3 Mississippi State 548 (-28)
4 UCF 553 (-23)
5 College of Charleston 557 (-19)
6 Kentucky 560 (-16)
T7 Kansas 566 (-10)
T7 North Texas 566 (-10)
T9 Texas A&M 571 (-5)
T9 UNCW 571 (-5)