A&M women’s swim, dive concludes year at NCAA Championships

Photo by Photo by Robert O’Brien

Sophomore Chloe Stepanek took the 500 Yard Freestyle for the Aggies by 13 seconds.

Unlike other teams donning the maroon and white, Texas A&M women’s swimming and diving capped off its season at the NCAA Championships in Atlanta. The tournament spanned over four days, from Wednesday, March 16 to Saturday, March 19, and concluded with a 39th-place finish for the Aggies, the worst for the Aggies in more than two decades.
On Day 1 of the tournament, A&M athletes participated in a pair of relay events.
In the 200-yard medley relay, freshman Kaitlyn Owens, sophomore Bobbi Kennett, sophomore Olivia Theall and sophomore Chloe Stepanek finished 21st with a season-best time of 1:36.70.
A&M’s final competition on Day 1 was the 800-yard freestyle relay. Stepanek, Kennett, sophomore Jordan Buechler and freshman Aviv Barzelay clocked in at 7:08.13 but were disqualified for an early start.
Continuing into Day 2, A&M had three participants in the 200-yard free relay. Kennett, Owens, Theall and Stepanek placed 19th with another season-best time of 1:28.73.
On the diving front, three Aggies competed in the 1-meter. Senior Chloe Ceyanes finished 23rd with a score of 279.15, and senior Aimee Wilson and junior Alyssa Clairmont each received top-40 finishes of their own.
Stepanek receiving Honorable Mention All-America honors was the Day 3 highlight for A&M. She earned the honors after placing 16th in the 200-yard free.
In the 400-yard medley relay, Owens, Kennett, Theall and Stepanek missed top-16 qualification by one position despite a season-best time of 3:30.58.
Theall posted a lifetime-record 52.17, finishing 26th, in the 100-yard butterfly. Kennett received an alternate spot in the 100-yard breaststroke for finishing 17th.
Owens concluded her impressive day with yet another top-20 finish in the 100-yard backstroke with a 52.37. Barzelay, in the same event, finished 51st with a 53.36.
In diving, Clairmont finished 23rd in the 3-meter with a score of 303.40. A&M’s final participant, Wilson, closed out her college career with a top-50 finish.
On the final day of the competition, Kennett, Buechler, Owens and Stepanek completed their participation in the relay portion of the championships with an 18th place finish in the 400-yard free relay.
Stepanek secured an alternate spot in the 100-yard free with a 17th place finish, and Kennett finished 58th.
In the 200-yard back, Barzelay finished 37th. Theall closed out A&M’s participation in the swimming events with a 43rd place finish in the 200 fly.
In diving, Clairmont placed 43rd in platform with a score of 217.85.
Together, the Aggies only mustered up a singular point, coming from Stepanek’s 200 free performance placing A&M in 39th.