A&M ‘simple’ choice for OL coach

Dave Christensen speaks to media Tuesday

Dave Christensen, the newly appointed offensive line coach for the Aggies, has already been able to implement his personality and experience into the offensive scheme. Christensen will also cover duties as the run-game coordinator, something of which he is very familiar. 
Over the span of his 30-year career in college football, Christensen has been part of 10 different programs in every role from graduate assistant to head coach. The well-traveled coach spent much of his time in Washington, where he was born and raised and attended university where he was a student-athlete. 
At spring practice Tuesday, the Washington native said there wasn’t much to think about when he was offered the job in College Station. 
“This is an elite job, probably one of the top-five jobs in the country,” Christensen said. “My goal as a coach is to coach at the highest level in college football and have an opportunity to recruit and coach the best players and have an opportunity to be in a place where you have a chance to legitimately compete for a national championship. It was a simple decision to come here.”
As he pieces together his offensive line, he has a few qualities in mind.
“Mental and physical toughness is the first thing,” he said. “Accountability is a big thing and group unity is huge. We’re trying to get five guys playing together.” 
Germain Ifedi, a redshirt sophomore tackle, said he particularly likes the way Christensen goes about getting things done on the field. 
“He’s going to get it out of you, he wants you to do everything right and we expect him to want us to do everything right,” Ifedi said. “He has 30 years of experience, so having a coach out there like that [makes us] appreciate everything he brings to the table.” 
Ifedi, in addition to getting in shape this offseason, has taken it upon himself to step his game up to another level and become a leader to his teammates. 
“This offseason I made it my mission to take young guys under my wing and [take on] that leadership style,” Ifedi said. “Now I am older and more experienced and I feel I can handle the responsibility of handling myself while bringing the other guys along.” 
Along with Ifedi, Mike Matthews is one of the veteran offensive linemen for the Aggies. Due to injury, Matthews has been unable to participate in all of the spring practice activities. However, Christensen noted Tuesday that he was able to participate in a walk-through portion of practice and his performance impressed. 
“Phenomenal, [he] made every call, never missed a beat and was right on every single one, was right on all the new terminology,” Christensen said. “I mean he was spot on, so I am really looking forward to getting him out there.”
With the veterans Matthews and Ifedi taking leadership roles under new management and the A&M offensive line taking shape, Christensen said nothing is set in stone and he is looking forward to what is to come this upcoming season. 
“We have a lot of competition ahead of us still and a lot of development,” Christensen said.