Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) catches the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 12, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Troubles in ‘Loosa
Braxton Dore, Sports Writer • April 13, 2024

After taking the home series over Kentucky last weekend, No. 12 Texas A&M softball received a well-deserved break over the week before traveling...

Ring Day run rule
Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Battle for The Bonham Trophy: A&M’s defense vs. South Carolina’s offense

Megan Williams/The Aggieland

Sophomore DL Walter Nolen (0) celebrates after sacking Alabama QB Jalen Milroe (4) during Texas A&M’s football game against Alabama at Kyle Field on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023. (Megan Williams/The Aggieland)

For a Texas A&M team desperate to crack the win column again, there appears to be a glaring mismatch its defense can take advantage of against the South Carolina offense.
The Gamecocks come into Saturday’s matchup ranked No. 70 in total offense. Their biggest issue is along the offensive line. South Carolina have given up 31 sacks through seven games, ranking No. 127 in the nation in that category.
That stat does not bode well for the Gamecocks, facing an Aggie defense that leads the nation in total team sacks at 29 and total tackles for loss at 65.
Nonetheless, the South Carolina offense still consists of play-makers that the Maroon and White will have to deal with. Redshirt senior quarterback Spencer Rattler has thrown for 1,941 yards and 11 touchdowns while redshirt senior running back Mario Anderson is averaging 5.2 yards a carry.
Throughout his career, Rattler has shown that any given Saturday he can put up elite numbers against elite competition. Last season, Rattler threw for 438 yards and six touchdowns while leading his team to a victory over No. 5 Tennessee before following it up the next week with a 260-yard day through the air and a win over No. 7 Clemson.
Unfortunately for Rattler, this season behind a poor offensive line has not given him the opportunity to put up those types of numbers.
Despite the poor line, Anderson has still been a force in the Gamecocks’ running game. He only has a pair of touchdowns, but has run for 403 yards on 76 attempts.
Anderson may be ineffective this game against an Aggie defense that has been stout all year in the run game, ranking No. 20 in rushing yards per game. On the other hand, A&M’s run defense looked the shakiest it had all year in its last matchup against Tennessee, giving up 232 yards on the ground.
Rattler likes to use his legs too, rushing for 305 yards this season, but the Aggies have also proved they can limit quarterbacks who can hurt you in the running game like Arkansas senior quarterback KJ Jefferson and Alabama’s redshirt sophomore quarterback Jalen Milroe. Jefferson ran for -3 yards while Milroe went for -31.
If the offensive line can buy Rattler time, he has weapons in the passing game to exploit against a weaker Aggie secondary. Fifth-year wide receiver Xavier Leggette is ninth in the nation in total receiving yards at 736, however it is uncertain whether he will play.
Leggette exited the game last week against Missouri due to an upper-body injury, SEC Network reported. His status in the game could play a big role in how effective the Gamecocks offense stacks up against the Aggies defense.
A&M played without sophomore defensive back Bryce Anderson last game while also losing sophomore defensive lineman Walter Nolen later in the game. The status for both of them is unclear, but like Legette, could play a role in how the game shapes out.
Regardless, both sides will be hungry for a win, as the Aggies have lost their last two games and the Gamecocks come in having lost four of their last five.