Both A&M swim teams lead SEC Championships after day one

Both men’s and women’s swim will look to cement their place in the SEC this weekend.

The Texas A&M swimming and diving teams hosted Southeastern Conference opponents on Feb. 14 as they kicked off the first day of the SEC Championships. Both Aggie teams ended the day in the lead, the women with 160 points and the men with 189.

The women set a school record with their win in the 800 free relay, completing the race in 6:55.60. Sophomore Katie Portz, junior Claire Rasmus, senior Kristin Malone, and junior Sydney Pickrem combined to earn the win and helped the women notch first place.

Senior diver Tyler Henschel’s win in the three-meter diving boosted the men to first place with 145 points, a lead they maintained throughout the rest of day. This win marked Henschel’s second back-to-back victory in the event. Other competitors in this event include 2016 champion Texas A&M junior Sam Thornton, who placed sixth this year, and 2015 champion senior Liam Stone from Tennessee, who placed fifth.

Senior and captain of the men’s team Jonathan Tybur notched an SEC-best time in the 200 breaststroke during the time trials with 1:53.31.

The women’s 200 medley relay team, comprised of senior Lisa Bratton, senior Jorie Caneta, freshman Jing Wen Quah, and sophomore Raena Eldridge, placed second behind Tennessee with a time of 1:35.54 to propel Texas A&M to a second-place tie with South Carolina.

The men’s 200 medley relay team took fourth place, following teams from Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama.

Other scorers include junior Sam Thornton (6th, three-meter diving), freshman Charlye Campbell (8th, one-meter diving), the men’s 800 free relay team (8th, 6:25.60), junior Skylar Lake (9th, three-meter diving), freshman Kurtis Mathews (10th, three-meter diving), freshman Kaja Skrzek (11th, one-meter diving), and junior Alais Kalonji (23rd, one-meter diving).
The Aggies will continue competition through Sunday, Feb. 18 at the Recreation Center Natatorium.