Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Buddy Johnson selected No. 140 overall in 2021 NFL Draft

Photo by Paul Burke

Texas A&M linebacker Buddy Johnson ends his career in Aggieland after leading the Aggies on defense in each of the last two seasons.

Texas A&M linebacker Buddy Johnson was selected by the Pittsburgh with the 140th overall pick in Round 4 of the 2021 NFL Draft.
Johnson is the fourth Aggie selected in this year’s draft.
“Buddy is a great example of a young man coming into a program and developing into an outstanding football player,” A&M coach Jimbo Fisher said in a release from the athletic department. “A former quarterback in high school, he made the switch to defense and worked hard to become a top linebacker and playmaker in the SEC. He was the quarterback of our defense and kept everyone on the same page and always seemed to come up with a big play when we needed it.”
As a two-year starter for the maroon and white, Johnson ends his career with 47 games played. Johnson played in 12 games his freshman year, recording 20 tackles and three quarterback hurries.
After recording 27 tackles as a sophomore, Johnson significantly improved his production to record 77 tackles in his junior year and 86 as a senior.
During his junior year, Johnson was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Week, after returning a fumble for 62 yards for a touchdown against Ole Miss.
Johnson totaled two touchdowns during his tenure with the Aggies, both on fumble returns. His career with the Aggies ends with a total of 210 tackles and six sacks.
The Dallas native was named a semifinalist for the Butkus Award in 2020, which is awarded to the highest caliber linebackers at the high school, college and professional levels.
Johnson joins A&M left tackle Dan Moore Jr. in going to the Steelers. Pittsburgh selected Moore at No. 128 overall. 
Quarterback Kellen Mond and defensive tackle Bobby Brown III were also drafted at No. 66 and No. 117, respectively.